Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Strategy Advice

I'm certainly not going to advocate that I know ANYTHING more than what I've learned through online and live play, in addition to what I've learned from 2+2.

However, the idea of playing tight early, only to loosen up during later stages, must be tempered by the idea of making good decisions dependant on things like position, relative depths of stacks compared to yours, and the reads you have garnered on the other players at the table. The decision process is dependant on even more variables than this, but the only real answer to the question of the proper strategy to use in tourneys, etc. is "it depends." I steal this from other posters online, but it is also a tenet my father liked to promote actively. All decision making "depends" on different variables, and while there are distinct strategies that one can learn and implement in tournaments, it all relies on the factors that are involved in the decision to be made.

Also, DO NOT concern yourself with where your chip stack is at any point in the tournament until it is so low and the blinds are so big that other decisions are demanded. Do not chase the chip leaders, try to at least hand around the average until catching the big hands, chop away, pick up some blinds and pots, and just hang around. Good things can, and sometimes do, happen. And if you don't catch anything, well, that's poker. There's always another tournament to play in!

Just my two cents. Any advice towards me on this post is totally welcome, and invited.

Good Luck!

- Jay