Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Question about a Stud situation.

A big donkey completes from the bring-in with a 2 (he has extremely weak calling standards, but I don't know much about his betting and raising standards, but I haven't seen him play aggressively without a strong hand), it folds to a 5 who calls, it folds to me and I'm last to act with rolled up 7's.

Does everyone merely call in this situation, or is fast-playing against a weak calling station who is showing strength better? What is a good plan for the later streets in a situation like this? I'll share what I did and the result of the hand later. The results are pretty surprising.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Question about a Stud situation.

I would be mmore inclined to respond to your question if you did not insult other people by using derogatory adjectaives like donkey. It is realy worthwhile to respect the players that you play with without degrading them by name calling. If you want people to respect you, then don;t call them donkeys. They are someone's father, son, husband, whatever. They may not be a strong poker player, but perhaps there is a better way for you to refer to weaker players than donkey. This is probably not the response that you wanted, but it is all the help that you deserve from me.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be mmore inclined to respond to your question if you did not insult other people by using derogatory adjectaives like donkey. It is realy worthwhile to respect the players that you play with without degrading them by name calling. If you want people to respect you, then don;t call them donkeys. They are someone's father, son, husband, whatever. They may not be a strong poker player, but perhaps there is a better way for you to refer to weaker players than donkey. This is probably not the response that you wanted, but it is all the help that you deserve from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow somebody's having a bad day....

In response to the actual question, I'd probably fast play in this situation. The fact that he is a calling station means he isn't going to fold. Also the other guy may have a 3 flush or something and you'd like to get as much money in the pot so he keeps on chasing. You may even get re-raised by the donke... I mean unskilled poker player.

The only time I like to slowplay rolled up is when im the first or second one in for the bring-in. But once players have shown that they are willing to call a raise you need to start getting the money in the pot.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 PM

I would just call third here and look to get my raise in on fifth. If the bring-in has a hand like AA2, he may three-bet, and you can end up with quite a large pot.

If you raise 3rd you may get a fair bit of action early on, but you are less likely to be able to get extra big bets.

On a side note, given that iamastud never offers anyone helpful advice on how to play hands anyway, I would totally ignore his post.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:14 PM

When a player makes an FBI,the other players expect him to have a large to middle sized pair in the hole,& they are ususlly correct. The 5 caller probably probably has a 3-card 7 with some high potential.If you raise in late position like this,you are representing a large pair(AA or KK)or either a low hand with an A or straight/flush potential.
The immediate raise looks the best by far to me.You should get action playing it fast& achieve max EV,imo.(Was his hand (22)2?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Is this high or 8/b?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 PM

OOps.My bad.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 AM

I like to wait until 5th and get the big bet raise in.

If you think you can trap the 5 for an extra half bet on 4th and still get a call out of him on 5th then that may more likely get him to call all the way and be a better play than making him decide if he wants to call a second full bet on 5th.

I don't see much added value in raising on 3rd if you think he will bet into you at least until 5th street and get the 5 to tag along.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is more out of line than calling an unknown player a donkey. Its not like hes doing it to his face or telling people exactly who it is, it is just setting up the analysis of the hand.

A majority of the posts on this site call people donkeys, why respond to this one?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:21 AM

It was Stud High.

Basically, I felt that by slow-playing, I may get a little bit more action from a marginal hand on latter streets, but if I go ahead and reraise on 3rd, then I can expect him to 3-bet if he has the likely big pair in the hole, which succeeds in getting multiple extra bets in the pot, at which point I can respond by slow-playing. I think defaulting to a slow-play right away misses a lot of value from both players on 3rd street when my opponent has what he is expected to have; a big pair in the hole. Even if a raise on 3rd did slow him down, there are still ways I can get a double bet in on 5th street. Plus, this guy was going to the river with any hand no matter what, especially if he considered it worth raising from the bring-in, so there was no risk in scaring him into an eventual fold by showing strength early.

The hand went as follows: I reraised, he 3-bet, the 5 called two more bets, and I called. 4th street I hit a jack, he hits an 8, 5 catches an offsuit blank. I check, he bets, 5 calls, I call. 5th street I make open jacks, the bring-in player makes open 8's, and the 5 catches a card suited with his doorcard. I bet hoping he's made a high two pair and will now raise, bring-in raises, 5 folds, I reraise, bring-in caps. 6th we each caught blanks and again capped the pot, and then again on the river. He turns over (2 2) 2 for deuces full of 8's and I scoop a huge pot.