Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 09:15 PM

Default C-betting limpers and the checkraise bluff

I have noticed for example later in the 20-table SNGs on Stars that it frequently winds up one limper versus the blinds or just the BB. It seems like the typical scenario is that the blinds check to the limper, who makes a big bet of 2/3 pot to pot. Then the blinds usually fold.

I frequently checkraise if I make a pair or draw or something. I was thinking of trying a checkraise bluff. Ideally I want a LAG late position big stack limper. I would want a choppy board like K74 or a low flop, particularly paired on connected, that looks like it would hit the blind.

Have people noticed these limper comtinuation bets? Has anyone tried checkraise bluffing in this type of situation? Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of this play?

A very similar situation occurs with a raise, particularly a miniraise, and just the BB calling.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: C-betting limpers and the checkraise bluff

I think it's effective because they usually limp in lp with the intention of stealing the pot. If you CR the flop they have no reason to believe you didn't flop some funky 2 pair. I think it's a good play (one of the few CR bluffs I reccommend).
Old 10-30-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: C-betting limpers and the checkraise bluff

I use this quite a bit in SNGs, also just leading out on the flop which usually takes it down. Most times when you get a limper in LP to button, they don't have much of a hand at all and hoping to hit a flop.

The time to check-raise bluff is when you check a ragged flop like you suggested and they hesitate before betting. The flop missed them and they feel compelled to bet, just hoping you go away. Esp good when it's Q or J high, because they limped with Ax.

The reason I don't do it much is because it often commits a lot of chips and they don't always fold to it. Then, you've got a big pot, no hand, and it's hard to get away from it. I like doing it when I get at least a piece of the flop, even if it's bottom pair. You can then check it down and still take it. He's not going to bet again unless that dreaded A hits. (I almost always bet out when Axx flops. There is always a VERY long pause, which makes me laugh. He's sitting there with A2 or A3 and wondering how much he's outkicked.) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

CJ