Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Default 2/4 Straight flush draw line check

Empire 400NL full ring. I have only 6 hands with Villain. He only played one of them and he raised it. He has $394, I cover.

I get Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB

All fold to Villain on button who min-raises to $8. SB folds, I call.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet out $17 (pot), he calls.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $45 (pot), he calls.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check-fold.

OK?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Straight flush draw line check

I don't mind the bet out on the flop, really, but I don't like the big bet on the turn. It's clear he has at worst two pair, who knows, he could have boated up and is waiting for you to hit your heart on the river, odds of you hitting your one miracle card as we know are slim.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:43 PM

How on Earth is it clear he has two pair because he called a bet on the flop?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:19 PM

Don't like your turn bet. What are you trying to represent and what can he have?

That K is trouble for you. His min-raise doesn't mean so much, he can have a wide range of hands (folded to him on the button). He probably have a weak ace or maybe even just a weak king (if you have been betting your draws before).

Either way the turn king will make it harder for you to convience him to fold a hand that he was willing to call a pot-size bet with at the flop because you must have a loose aggressive table image if he should believe that you have a king and bet out middle pair out of position at the flop against a preflop raiser. Or you must have tight weak image preflop and an AGGRESSIVE image preflop if he should believe that you play AK like this. I think that a lot of players slows down with a board like that, both if they have a full house or TPGK. Your play will probably make him suspicious if you holding anything good at all.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is that there is a good chance he have a decent hand or better that he will not fold. And in case he have a weak hand, your turn bet (trying to represent a strong hand in a way that don't fit in good with any normal table image) can make him hold harder against his hand.