Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 04:31 PM

Default 2/4 KK buggared up severely

Empire 400NL full ring. I'm posting this one almost to teach myself a lesson. I have $420, Villain covers.

I get K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB

Loose player raises in MP to $20, Villain (18/7/9) makes it $80. I call (?) Anyone just fold here? Original raiser folds.

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets $125, I call. I understand that most of you check-raise all in here and that you'll advise me to do so. My thinking is that if he has QQ/AK, he'll certainly slow down on the turn (?)

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Great. I don't have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so this is now even worse.

I check, he pushes, I fold.

(At least I stacked him a couple of hands later, I guess).
Old 08-13-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 2/4 KK buggared up severely

[ QUOTE ]
Empire 400NL full ring. I'm posting this one almost to teach myself a lesson. I have $420, Villain covers.

I get K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB

Loose player raises in MP to $20, Villain (18/7/9) makes it $80. I call (?) Anyone just fold here? Original raiser folds.

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets $125, I call. I understand that most of you check-raise all in here and that you'll advise me to do so. My thinking is that if he has QQ/AK, he'll certainly slow down on the turn (?)

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Great. I don't have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so this is now even worse.

I check, he pushes, I fold.

(At least I stacked him a couple of hands later, I guess).

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be one astounding read to fold KK preflop. I could only imagine doing it if both the raiser and reraiser were very tight. Other than that, I guess good fold on the turn given your read, but are you really saving yourself money in the long run by folding KK when you suspect a tight player might have AA?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Villain could easily have Q-Q, J-J, 10-10, or a strong ace here. You said the initial raiser was loose, right? It sure looks like villain has a big hand and is trying to isolate the first raiser. He may have had aces, but I think it's +EV to reraise Villain preflop and bet the flop like you got the nuts. Looks like an isolation play to me, so I'm not so certain it was aces.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:00 PM

You are pot-stuck on the turn IMO. If my calcualtions are right, the pot is $430 on the turn and you have $215. You are getting 1:3.

And since I consider myself pot-stuck on the turn, I try to not put myself in that situation, by leading or check-raising the flop all in.

EDIT: Villian is also likely to consider himself pot-stuck and I think we can't assume he will slow down on turn w/ QQ-JJ or even AdKx or AxKd.