Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 06:15 AM

Default \"She\" and \"Womyn\"

My English prof always uses the word she instead of he in her lectures and writings. For some reason this bothers the hell out of me. Not in some philosophical sense, but I just can't help but be annoyed when she does it.

The thing I really can't stand at all is when feminists use the expression "womyn". It's not a fuckeing word.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: \"She\" and \"Womyn\"

neither is "fuckeing"
Old 09-18-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My English prof always uses the word she instead of he in her lectures and writings. For some reason this bothers the hell out of me. Not in some philosophical sense, but I just can't help but be annoyed when she does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you don't like it is because it's a conscious decision, whereas saying "he" is, in almost all cases, reflexive. Whether or not she means to, she is on at least one level trying to make a point.

Because she is an English prof, this may not be inappropriate, as one could colorably argue that the question as to which pronoun to use is, indeed, one to be discussed in an English class.

The womyn thing bothers me to no end. A person who intentionally errs in using that word injects her (or, I guess, his, on occassion) political ideology into every sentence written, be it the appropriate forum for not. At least there is an argument of egalitarianism to be made in the use of she over he; that is clearly not the case when dealing with womyn.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Also in the same boat.....I just find other ways to passive-aggressivly bash females and increase male superiority. For the record, the use of "he" is standard, its the "common gender pronoun", and the word Womyn makes me wanna punch a wall
Old 09-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Here is my expert analysis...

Who gives a [censored]?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:44 PM

http://dogsnot.net/mt/archives/000340.html

yw. this be the greatest picture in all of the land.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The thing I really can't stand at all is when feminists use the expression "womyn". It's not a fuckeing word.

[/ QUOTE ]

The good news is that once you're out of University, you may very well never see the word "womyn" again. It used to bother me when I was in school, too.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The good news is that once you're out of University, you may very well never see the word "womyn" again. It used to bother me when I was in school, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never seen that word period. wtf is the signifigance?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:49 PM

that was great
Old 09-18-2005, 06:22 PM

This reminds me of when I was in college. I had a roommate who was dating the president of the "Womyns Alliance", which was some militant woman’s group who seemed to do nothing but biitch about men.

One day we were all hanging out drinking beers and she said to me "Look at you sitting there with your legs spread apart. Ya know, men sit that way because they want to take up as much space as possible to show that they are dominant."

I said, "No. I sit this way because I have a set of balls swinging between my legs and it's uncomfortable when they are mashed together. You don't have a set of balls do you?"

This same biitch also said that men make huge skyscrapers because they are phallic symbols that remind us of our penis, which we are obsessed with (of course we are obsessed with our units, but that's another thing). I asked here if we should construct buildings by digging huge caves and caverns to resemble vaginas instead. She was not amused.