Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM

Default JJ interesting preflop situation

Party 1/2 6-max. SB just lost a big pot and, from past experience with him, I know he's likely to be tilting. He has about $94. BB is fairly aggressive both pre- and post-flop. He's reraised some of my steal raises and made me lay down. He has about $210. I cover and have JJ on the button. If people are paying attention, they've seen me play in a pretty high gear the past half hour. I've been getting some good cards and hitting some good flops with bad cards. I haven't shown down only quality hands but I don't think I've been caught making any big postflop bluffs, either (though I've made a few).

Folded to me, I make it $8, SB calls, BB reraises to $26. I call, SB pushes for $95, BB calls. What's my play?

Some thoughts:
If BB had folded, I'd've instantly called SB as his range is very wide due to the tilting and irritation and not being allowed to see the flop cheaply with something he decided he wanted to play. BB's range is also wider than AA-QQ/AK as he's seen me steal a lot from the button. The fact that I just called his reraise and didn't 3bet myself might lead him to believe I do not have a premium holding and he probably also picked up on SB's tilting so calling that all-in does not require a big hand, either. Obviously, if I knew exactly what his range to call here was, it would be a simple math problem to figure out what the best play is.

Anyone think I should've 3bet BB's reraise myself instead of calling?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: JJ interesting preflop situation

Push. And yes sometimes I would 3-bet BB's raise. But in these exact circumstances I would just call to entice the tilting SB to push in to get the BB to either push to isolate or call so that I can push. You get exactly what you wanted here. Push it in.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM

I think this is a pretty standard muck, as you said, I would've instacalled the shortstack, I just dont think you have enough information to know you have BB beat.
Noah
Old 08-29-2005, 01:07 PM

I dont understand why you dont 3bet JJ here, this is the situation where you have the cards to play back at the BB preflop. The tilter will continue to tilt, just hope to get his stack next orbit - I see this situation as more important to go after the BB.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM

how much are you gonna make it to 3 bet him, your less likely to get free money from the tilter if you 3 bet.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Last time I made this fold I was shown A9s and A10s.

Lame.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:15 PM

Is 3 betting the reraise from BB a good idea here? There are a load of flops that can make our JJ not look so pretty, and if BB is as capable as you describe him, he may take advantage of this. You most likely have SB beat, so either you are racing against 3+ overcards, or behind BB's bigger pair and racing SB (qk??, aq??), maybe even dominating him (a10s, aj, 77-1010). If you are ahead now it's barely, and if you are behind you are waaaay behind. Id have to muck this here.

Thinking more, I can see a case for 3 betting SB here. Then we bet big on any flop and if he calls we slow way down. Is SB capable of smoothcalling us and trapping us if rags hit?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:35 PM

Why can't you be way ahead of TT-88? Or A9s? Or QJ? Or 86?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Results

I decided BB's smooth call without too much deliberation of the SB all-in was indicative of a very good hand that wanted me to stick around and folded. It turned out to be a bad fold with a good result as the tilter had A3o and the BB had AQs. The flop came 8-high with two of BB's suit and he made the nuts on the river.

I'm not convinced on whether or not 3betting JJ after BB's reraise is the best play or not. Somebody convince me one way or the other...
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Results

You thinking is correct if he is a very good player. But there is a very high likelihood that he isn't. And it didn't have a good result if he would have folded his AQs to your push and you would have been left to wipe the floor with tilter's A3o getting 2:1 on your money. Boo for your fold.