Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Fold AK in a raised pot with several callers?

A buddy of mine (who plays 10 max .25/50 NL) was telling me he just folded AK when this really tight player raised it to two dollars, and three other tight players called. He claims they are so tight he knew they all had to have either AA KK QQ JJ or 1010.

I told him he is getting 4/1 pot odds on his call plus implied if he possibly hits big so he should call anyway. He says he knows they are really this tight that they all have to have premium high pockets, so unless he flops the straight, any pair he hits probably wont be any good.

I would say you have to call anyway even if you knew these were their cards just because you're getting such good calling odds.

Thoughts?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Fold AK in a raised pot with several callers?

The implied odds simply aren't there. QQ is not giving any money if you hit, KK is not giving any money if an A hits. Basically, he has horrible reversed implied odds. It's a good fold IMO. I often fold A K to a lone raiser if he is passive enuogh, so that he only raises AA-JJ and AK-Q.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM

Only one person raised, but three people just called the raise...I'm not sure if you got that from my post...I hear what youre saying but I would say just be careful unless you get a real favorable flop.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 PM

I got your OP. What's a real favourable flop, Q J Tr?

You will only hit 1/3 (that is if there is now other A or K out there, which is unlikely). You are really only happy of you hit an A, and basically, that is still just a one-pair hand in a multiway pot. If you get action, you are likely to be beat.

I thinks it's a pretty easy fold.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 PM

Ok, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for clarifying.

David
Old 08-24-2005, 06:06 PM

1st off i dont think from a raise and a call u make a read that all villains have TT-AA. with that said i think this is a fold. i dont want to play a big pot in which i most likely will only make a one pair hand that probably wont be good.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:13 PM

In the .25/.50 a raise to $2 is not very big and i tend to see many players calling that small of a bet. I would probably call and maybe just be worried about the tight original raiser. And also if its suited u have another whole set of possibilities to hit.