Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Turn in Multiway hand with TT

[ QUOTE ]

Basically, I'm looking at whether or not it's worth it to raise to try to get rid of some gutshot should the river come a T. Obviously a 7 wouldn't go anywhere there with the 6 being present.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about it now. After raising the flop, the worst you can offer a gutshot is 8.5:1 and even if you get every gutshot to fold, the T is still dirtied by any 7.
You won't add anything to your equity by raising here, just call.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry...I'm talking about the impact that would have on the turn decision if the 6 were a 3.

Basically, I'm looking at whether or not it's worth it to raise to try to get rid of some gutshot should the river come a T. Obviously a 7 wouldn't go anywhere there with the 6 being present.

[/ QUOTE ]

From all the calling that has gone on in the hand thus far, I don't know how much I like the chances of anyone folding to a raise.

If the 6 were a 3 and you didn't have straight draw, your hand might be a fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Raising flop or wait for the turn-a tangent

[ QUOTE ]

...you would really like to get people with an overcard or something to fold, and hopefully people with weak gutshots fold (thus making a mistake).

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit to add: This is more of a general post, not just this hand specifically.

I see this a lot during arguments about raising the flop or waiting until the turn. The case for raising the flop when it won't decrease pot odds to the point where opponents call incorrectly is usually argued by saying something along the lines of "give them a chance to fold incorrectly." The problem with this is most small stakes hold'em players don't fold whether it is correct or not! They call whether the pot odds are with them or against them. So raising the flop hoping to get them to do something that they don't normally do is pointless, they are going to call and it just so happens it is still correct for them to do so in this spot. A raise on the flop makes them chose two options, one good for you and one bad for you, with the one bad for you something they do the vast majority of the time. However, waiting until the turn to see if a safe card comes will make them chose two options that are both good for you. I know the subject of waiting until the turn has been covered in numerous poker books, but I just wanted to reiterate it.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Raising flop or wait for the turn-a tangent

Rather humorous ending to the hand:

I went ahead and just called the turn...still not sure about it even though raising just 2 clean up 2 outs isn't worth it here if that's all we're doing.

After I called, some others called, and a guy in MP timed out.

The river was a T.

Everyone checked to me, and I bet and got a handful of callers.

Turns out MP who timed out had 77. I did win a side pot though that gave me + $8 for the hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:26 AM

I think you are losing too much value by not 3-betting preflop. I also like a turn raise for a couple of reason: 1) it is possible that we could clean up our set outs by getting somebody to fold a gutshot by facing them with 2 cold, 2) this is a quasi free showdown situation where you will be able to charge others with flush draws the maximum and considering we are probably showing our hand down anyway we might as well do the most to extract/protect for the times we are ahead.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 PM

16:1 with 10 outs? I call.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:40 PM

I call, I don't want to raise and get 3-bet.
Easy call to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 PM

Raise the turn. You might clean up some T outs. Worse case scenario is that you get 3-bet and there are only 2 opponents, but that doesn't really cost that much because your equity is still decent.

3-bet PF. You have the 5th best hand in poker and at least 5 people have a worse hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:28 PM

I also 3-bet PF. Like the flop raise. Originally I thought it'd be a good spot to wait till the turn, but I don't know how often MP3 is betting the turn vs. this many opponents with a hand that doesn't crush us.
The turn has so many freaking dimensions to it, I don't know what to think.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:26 PM

Qtip

I like the pre-flop call,although a three bet isn't bad either. On the flop i thought you should wait until the turn
to raise but i would be wrong you have to much going for you with the overpair,gutshot and backdoor draw good raise.

Now to the turn, mp3 just called your flop raise now comes out betting the turn.It appears weak to me so i would raise and see if i can knock some people out to improve my chances in this huge pot.It's a risky raise with this board but you did pick up the open end straight draw so even if your behind to a set or two pair you have outs.Ice