Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 03:54 AM

Default The new NHL rules

If you dont know what the NHL is then dont make a stupid post asking what it is, or saying this is the sports forum. Posting off topic in a forum is not acceptable, so posting off topic in my thread is not acceptable.

Some questions I have.

Do you like the new rules?

Will shootout goals count as a goal and a point in that players statistics?

Will shootout goals against go against the goalie?

rJ
Old 07-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: The new NHL rules

I don't like the shoot out. My feeling is that if you work 80 minutes and you can't decide on who wins, then a draw is fair for both involved. Not everything should always be clear cut, and the draw at least provides some sort of reward for both teams invlolved
Old 07-24-2005, 04:02 AM

Well, the game is awful damn tight these days and I think it might get more interesting if some of the best players could be more creative. However I usually hate all rule changes on general principle. I'll have to wait and see.

As for your other two questions, my answer is, "Let's hope not."

NT
Old 07-24-2005, 04:54 AM

I like most of the new rules.

The tag-up offsides is a nice addition. Should keep play moving and may open up nuetral zone play a little.

I wish the extra 4' per side was added behind the net rather than near the blue lines. Extra space behind the net is great for aggressive offensive players. Over-aggression in the offensive zone would also be penalized by trapping players, or entire lines, too deep. This could lead to more odd man rushes from clean break-out passes.

The goalie equipment size reduction is great. NHL goaltenders are amazing and with the ever-increasing pad size it was becoming next to impossible to beat them outside of a rebound or deflections. Maybe we will see a few more clean shots get by these guys.

The one rule change I do not like is a team guilty of icing must keep their "tired" players on the ice for the next face off. That will take some getting used to. Hockey players are taught from their first game to ice the puck if they are tired. I don't have a good reason to object to the new rule though.

I don not know how the statistics from shootouts will be addressed. I think Olympic statistics awarded a team goal for or against for the shootout result. These stats were not recorded individually. I could only guess the NHL will follow this and maybe create new individual statistic categories for shootouts.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 AM

I never watched hockey much, and I don't really know why because it seems like a sport that I would be able to get into, but I think the reason behind it was that the games sort of reminded me of soccer, that is, lots of donking around with a scoring chance every few minutes.
The new rules sound great, to be honest I don't care so much about the number of goals scored so much as the amount of offensive action. I can't see how shootout goals could be counted and still protect the legitimacy of current records. And about shootouts, I agree that it's a poor way to end a game, but on the other hand, I think anyone who pays to go see a sporting event deserves to see a winner and loser(s). Nothing is worse than shelling out 50 or 100 bucks for a ticket and the game ends in a draw, like in soccer, or japanese baseball.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Shootout goals will not count for scorers, and will not be counted against goalies. My guess is they will be kept as a seperate statistic.

I like most of the new rules, except the removal of the red line - this will jam up the neutral zone even more because teams will be looking to prevent home run passes. I think it's going to take away some of the transition game, ironically enough. Larry Robinson has already said he will have to play a 1-3-1 formation.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 AM

so the shootouts will be after one period of OT? im assuming then that both teams wont get an automatic point for getting to OT? or will they still?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so the shootouts will be after one period of OT? im assuming then that both teams wont get an automatic point for getting to OT? or will they still?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, the point structure remains the same - 1 point for each team after a regulation tie, and then a team that wins in the 5 minute OT, or in the shootout, gains an additional point.

I reserve the right to be wrong about this.

As for the new rules, I like them all. The no red line thing may or may not work, but at least they're trying it. If it's a bust, they can always change the rule back.

Moving the goal line back is excellent. More space behind the net = more cycling = more guys standing along the boards, trying to kick the puck to each other. BORING. The offensive zone has 4 extra feet - more room to move around in, more room to defend, which means more room for effective offense.

Tag up offsides are awesome, and they never should have changed them in the first place. I also like the new icing rules, and since the linesmen can call off icing if they think there was an honest attempt at a pass, it will reduce whistles, and increase flow.

All in all, I think the new rules will make the NHL much better.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, the point structure remains the same - 1 point for each team after a regulation tie, and then a team that wins in the 5 minute OT, or in the shootout, gains an additional point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this on the NHL website

[ QUOTE ]
The League will award two points to a team that wins in regulation, overtime or the shootout; one point to a team that loses in overtime or the shootout; and no points to a team that loses in regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The league really needs to start awarding 3 pts for a regulation win.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:59 PM

I really dislike the overtime shootout. I don't even like the 4 on 4 overtime. But them I don't mind ties. Increase the offense, and ties will be reduced anyway.

From a betting stance, the 4 on 4 and shootouts are killers. I used to kill on being able to bet on a team that would be happy with a tie. (i.e. a 'good' tie) The new OT rules just add another level of uncertainty.