Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Pittsburgh Penguins get first pick

Who exactly are the Pittsburgh Penguins again? What sport is that?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins get first pick

OK seriously for just a minute. If there are any NHL fans still out there ... thoughts on the new shootout rule? I hate it. Nothing wrong with a tie. One of the proposals was that if they were still tied after 4-on-4 they would play five minutes of 3-on-3 before a shootout. I would have much preferred that.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Shoot-outs are not hockey. That is all there is to say.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Glad to see that a fairly big market team is going to get the Next Gretzy (don't remember his name) But then again I live in Houston and just remember I don't care about hockey.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see that a fairly big market team is going to get the Next Gretzy

[/ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh is a big hockey market? Weren't they one of the teams whining about the problems with the old system?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Actually, for the NHL I think Pittsburgh is probably one of the best places Crosby could have landed, at least for financial reasons. Pittsburgh has been on the brink of folding for a few years, and probably would have folded if not for Lemieux saving it. If Crosby is everything they say he is, he will revitalize that team and its fan base, to the extent hockey can be revitalized. His arrival in Pittsburgh probably added 2 years on to Lemieux's career, assuming his back holds up. Having him and Crosby on the same ice for a few years will be exciting and a good marketing pitch for them.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:11 PM

I love the shootout idea - for the regular season. I love hockey, but the past few years, the games could get incredibly dull, including overtime. The shootouts will add some excitement. I hated the three-on-three idea, that's not exciting hockey at all.

Granted, shootouts suck for playoffs, and I'm glad they won't have them. Nothing better than double overtime.

It sucks that the Penguins get the first pick. Crosby's going to disappear in Pittsburgh. No one there cares, and they're just not big enough a market to make a real impace on the league as a whole. At least he gets to play with Mario for a year or two - that will be awesome.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:55 PM

I'm stoked for no red line, and less behind the net hockey.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:56 PM

Right, just like in 91 and 92 when the Penguins couldn't sell jerseys or hats to save their lives.

I understand the NHL has changed a lot since then, but if you don't think Pittsburgh's going to get a new arena deal and become the second most popular team in the city behind the Steelers, well, I'm not sure what you're thinking.

As for the red line, no red line will slow the game down - defensemen will not be able to pinch in as often, creating less outman situations in the offensive zone, and the home run passes won't work as much as NHL management would like them to.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sucks that the Penguins get the first pick. Crosby's going to disappear in Pittsburgh. No one there cares, and they're just not big enough a market to make a real impace on the league as a whole. At least he gets to play with Mario for a year or two - that will be awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh, when having a winning team, is just as big of a hockey market as anywhere else other than MAYBE New York and Montreal. Pittsburgh is full of fair weather fans but they look like they're going to be one of the teams that come out best from the new CBA.

This actually got me excited about hockey again. I personally hate Lemieux. He only bought the Pens in the first place because he was owed so much money from the past owners and bought the Pens so he could get some money back. It's very obvious to me, but to many morons here, they're too busy blowing him to realize what he is/was doing. I wouldn't have a problem with it if he'd just come out and say it. I declared when they traded Kovey that I would no longer follow or support them which I didn't.

Now with the Crosby pickup and it looks like the Pens will be buyers once FA market opens up, they won back my patronage because it looks like they're going to try to be competitive and not just put 18 bums on the ice just to put more money in Lemieux's pocket. They have no excuses now...