Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Places to play around DC

I've been looking for a consistent place to play live, around DC, without making the 3 hour haul to AC everytime I want to play B&M.

If anyone knows of any cardrooms in the area, it'd be great if you could either post them (probably not the best idea) or PM me with the info. I'm not a cop. I just love poker, love live poker more, and would love to find a place or two to play in the area (if such a place exists).

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Places to play around DC

Some guy posted a while ago about starting cash games in our area--im sure if you do a search you can find it.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:27 PM

link if found holla
Old 06-07-2005, 04:38 PM

I suck at the search function. I couldn't find it. There was a guy that made a post about starting lives games in the greater DC/Metro area. His posts had at least 10 responses at the time I sent him a PM--which I cannot find either. He also gave his emai--which i cannot find (god I suck [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). I think he was primarily interested in playing NL games b/c I recall asking if we could spread some limit games too. Anyway, if anyone can find this post and this guys email I would like to contact him.

Of course, us three could start a new thread and get a game going. I am not sure how interested I am playing with a bunch of two plus two guys though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 06-07-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, us three could start a new thread and get a game going. I am not sure how interested I am playing with a bunch of two plus two guys though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Heh.

Do I understand the law right that in Maryland at least, card rooms are legal as long as there is no rake? If this is the case, I could see someone making a killing off of setting up some sort of bar/card room, where they attract people with cards and make money off of selling beer. On the other hand, not everyone likes to drink while they play, and even less like to pay to drink while they play. So that's a snag.

Regardless, is it something where if someone set up a home game, I could advertise on like, college campuses (looking for fish), they wouldn't have to worry about the law coming knocking at my door? Because yeah, the idea of playing against a bunch of at least semi-serious poker players is far less appealing to me. Heh.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:45 PM

Well keep me in the loop. I am definitely interested in playing some live poker--I find it faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more enjoyable then playing online--which I rarely do anymore.

Also, this is going to sound terrible, I can bring some fishies along.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:17 PM

Last weekend I went to a 80+20 fire department (Southern, MD) NL Tournament. As people were busting out, cash games were starting on the other end of the hall. Off site cash games were also getting advertised. This was a great place to find local games. Might be something like this close to you.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I understand the law right that in Maryland at least, card rooms are legal as long as there is no rake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no, in fact in Maryland home games are illegal.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last weekend I went to a 80+20 fire department (Southern, MD) NL Tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

The States Attorney General has declared these fundraiser games illegal. Baltimore City, Baltimore County, the northern counties and the DC area have all shut their games down. It’s only a matter of time for Southern MD.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:15 PM

How was that tourney Mobed? I heard about it just didnt feel like playing with the SoMD crowd.