Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Be more aggressive ?

Note: As soon as Loki bet the flop, and I called, the fact that Bylons didn't raise showed me that he didn't have an overpair. Should I have played this hand more aggresively ?

***** Hand History for Game 486731 *****
3/6 TexasHTGameTable (Limit) - Sat May 07 13:05:30 EDT 2005
Table Card Room Table 1346 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: Hostler ( $110.50)
Seat 2: BLyons ( $111)
Seat 3: phats ( $112)
Seat 4: hmachado ( $93)
Seat 5: Loki ( $77.50)
Seat 6: Wiesman02 ( $93)
Seat 7: Take Notes ( $147)
Seat 8: poiuytr ( $136)
Seat 9: rezylana ( $98.50)
Loki posts small blind (1)
Wiesman02 posts big blind (3)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Wiesman02 [ Th, Tc ]
Take Notes folds.
poiuytr folds.
rezylana folds.
Hostler folds.
BLyons calls (3)
phats folds.
hmachado folds.
Loki raises (5) to 6
Wiesman02 calls (3)
BLyons calls (3)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4d, 4s, 3d ]
Loki bets (3)
Wiesman02 calls (3)
BLyons calls (3)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4c ]
Loki bets (6)
Wiesman02 calls (6)
BLyons calls (6)
** Dealing River ** : [ Jc ]
Loki checks.
Wiesman02 bets (6)
BLyons calls (6)
Loki calls (6)
** Summary **
Main Pot: $60 | Rake: $3
Board: [ 4d 4s 3d 4c Jc ]
Hostler balance $110.50, didn't bet (folded)
BLyons balance $90, lost $21 [ 3c 3h ] [ a full house, fours full of threes ]
phats balance $112, didn't bet (folded)
hmachado balance $93, didn't bet (folded)
Loki balance $56.50, lost $21
Wiesman02 balance $132, bet $21, collected $60, net +$39 [ Th Tc ] [ a full house, fours full of tens ]
Take Notes balance $147, didn't bet (folded)
poiuytr balance $136, didn't bet (folded)
rezylana balance $98.50, didn't bet (folded)
Old 05-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Be more aggressive ?

you need to use the hand converter. I'm doing you this favor bwefore someone comes down hard on you
Old 05-07-2005, 04:23 PM

This HH doesnt work with the converter. I tried.

3-bet preflop. The hand plays differently from there.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:10 PM

Even if he doesn't use the converter, he could have converted this to text himself.

I think showing more aggression somewhere between preflop, and the turn would probably be correct. Actually given the action on the flop, I think a turn raise is a pretty easy play to find.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:24 PM

In addition to making the hand more readable, a REALLY important thing to do when posting hands is to eliminate the results. Seeing how the hand turns out will subtly bias our advice -- cut it off after the betting ends so that our advice is more universal.

Preflop: you really should reraise this. You've got a strong pocket pair against two opponents and you'll be facing the open-limper with two bets to continue. Not only is this a value bet, it also regains control and might drive out the stray opponent putting you heads-up with position and dead money in the pot.

Flop: you're ahead, and there are MANY scare cards in the deck. Any diamond makes a three-flush on the board and any J, Q, K, or A puts an overcard up. With 23 scare cards, you've got to protect your hand FAST FAST FAST. Luckily, SB just gave you the perfect chance to do so. Now's the time to raise. This should drive BLyons out of the pot, cleaning up outs and making it all that much more likely that your tens hold up on the river.

Turn: miracle card. At this point, you're ahead of the field a really seriously large fraction of the time. Rather than fear the monsters under the bed, raise this puppy up! The odds that one of the two players in this hand has the case 4 is very low. You've got the winning hand most of the time, and you've got two opponents. Make 'em pay to see your winners.

River: NOW you decide to start betting? When the board finally has a card that beats you, THEN you decide to throw money in the pot? This really doesn't make any sense to me, especially given how timidly you've been playing this hand all along. This river is a good time to check/call.

In short, I would have played every single street differently than you did. You have to be aggressive with a hand that's easily beaten -- drive away that competition. You've got a board where you're ahead most of the time all the way until the river, but you just call. Then, on the river, when a scare card finally hits, you suddenly decide it's time to start betting...you played this one backwards.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Yeah way more aggression on this hand. 3 bet preflop and be aggressive all the way, except on the river u should check/call. Any lone jack will take this down.

Looking at the results, it seems one of your opponents forgot that he flopped a full house, the turn was a thing of beauty for u.

Also, if u cant convert the hand, do it manually...and cut the results...makes it more reader friendly and the advice u do get will be unbiased.