Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Wait, turns out New Orleans is screwed after all

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone watching the CNN news conference with the NO mayor? What's the deal with the woman on her left whose face keeps moving as if she's trying to talk along with the mayor? It's freaking me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw this, it's fairly obvious that she is trying to hold back tears.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought originally, but occasionally she moves to the podium and speaks and seems totally composed.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 PM

Don't they also bury the dead above ground in NO because of the water table? Jeez, that could be dicey if the coffins get loose.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 PM

This can't be good

Old 08-30-2005, 08:44 PM

I work for a Classic Rock station. I checked to make sure we didn't have that (When The Levee Breaks) or Rock You Like A Hurricane scheduled to play today.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You fellas know what martial law is, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kelly was sooooo hot in that show.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think building codes exist that can withstand a cat 5 hurricane. And if you build the entire area out of houses that theoretically could nobody could afford them. Its a question of money, they know its dangerous to live there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the worst case/most glaring example of human stupidity is in the SF delta. people have been moving out there for years as housing prices have risen in the area. Thing is, they move out there so they can live in new 6/4 houses on large lots. then, as the levees break in the winter during the storms (once every two years, at least), they're on the news complaining about their bad luck. well, how about buying a little less house and making it above sea level?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you 100% on this one. How developers out there can be allowed to spend billions on development and not one dime to increase the integrity of those levees is beyond me. And we are talking about simple rain that makes them break.

But now place these areas in a hurricane zone.

How exponentially does the stupidity factor go up?

Nobody expects people to build with expectations of a direct blow from a Cat 5. But, if you know the chance exists of one rolling through every few years, it is imo negligence to not to build structures that can withstand a Cat 3 or even 4.

I don't want to hear it is a money issue. I feel the same (confussed) about rich people in Malibu living in wildfire country that do not clear brush from around their property. They watch the fires roll through every year, and every year they problably breathe a big sigh of relief when the fire 'just misses' them. But do they clear the brush? Build a fire line? Prepare for the disastrous event that will hit them sooner or later?? No. It is negligence as well.

Wether it is the homeowners negligence, the city's, the countys, the states...I don't know. But it is negligence all the same and people are dieing as a result of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one thing when you're talking about building new houses. But many houses were already built long ago.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But more importantly, I don't think you understand the context of this. New Orleaneans are asked to evacuate for a hurricane maybe once every year or two.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here in Florida. Also, it is not an easy decision to just leave your home, you want to protect what is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people, leaving your home is probably losing more or less everything. Most people don't have big bank accounts, or even enough to let them survive a few months comfortably at a hotel. Leaving home would mean giving up everything they have, including, for some of them, the ability to eat very soon.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't they also bury the dead above ground in NO because of the water table? Jeez, that could be dicey if the coffins get loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully there won't be a zombie outbreak.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work for a Classic Rock station. I checked to make sure we didn't have that (When The Levee Breaks) or Rock You Like A Hurricane scheduled to play today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been listening to "When The Levee Breaks" compulsively, actually.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been listening to "When The Levee Breaks" compulsively, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had it stuck in my head as well. Still, it would seem really insensitive on our part if it played at the wrong time. Imagine somebody's flipping through radio stations, hears a report on the levee that was breached, changes the station, and we're playing "When The Levee Breaks."