Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: What has been your biggest mistake in life so far?

[ QUOTE ]
Not going to medical school and getting married instead.... I am now divorced [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I convinced my wife to move here (to Norway from Poland) without finishing her education for two reasons:
-here in Oslo nobody cares what education you have. Personality and work experience is valued much higher (in a conversation with my boss after two years I just mentioned how it was in university and it turned out he did not know I had a degree).
-the city then was very boomish and in a desperate need for labor. You could visit to 6-7 agencies during one day and within 2 weeks you would have 5 good job offers with high pay even if you had no education or work experience.

Later I regreted a lot. I think this was my biggest mistake in my life. In her culture having a degree was/is important for self-esteem. When we split up I had so bad consciousness that I paid her the money needed to finish the education. Now she has went back to Poland to finish it and it makes me very happy (I am moving there in the end of this month since we are back together).
Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When we split up I had so bad consciousness that I paid her the money needed to finish the education. Now she has went back to Poland to finish it and it makes me very happy (I am moving there in the end of this month since we are back together).

[/ QUOTE ]

This was very generous of you.
Happy to hear you are back together [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]... Good luck in Poland.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not going to medical school and getting married instead.... I am now divorced [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I convinced my wife to move here (to Norway from Poland) without finishing her education for two reasons:
-here in Oslo nobody cares what education you have. Personality and work experience is valued much higher (in a conversation with my boss after two years I just mentioned how it was in university and it turned out he did not know I had a degree).
-the city then was very boomish and in a desperate need for labor. You could visit to 6-7 agencies during one day and within 2 weeks you would have 5 good job offers with high pay even if you had no education or work experience.

Later I regreted a lot. I think this was my biggest mistake in my life. In her culture having a degree was/is important for self-esteem. When we split up I had so bad consciousness that I paid her the money needed to finish the education. Now she has went back to Poland to finish it and it makes me very happy (I am moving there in the end of this month since we are back together).

[/ QUOTE ]

aawwww that was so sweet of u and im soooo glad ur back together!! too cute!!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:31 PM

a. Going to Paramedic school instead of becoming a RN or PA

b. Staying with ex-Girlfriend WAY TOO Long (but that did keep out of the dating pool long enough to meet my wife)

c. Becoming a SF Giants fan
Old 08-14-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what do you call these

1) person getting drunk and crashing their car and killing a family of 5
2) person dropping out of high school because of crack addiction
3) murdering your dad because you get in a fight
4) raping a child

[/ QUOTE ]

choices...not mistakes...u wont change my mind on this as i wont change urs...theres no point in arguing...

ive had 2 of those things similarly happen in my life...and i dont see them as mistakes - things id take back

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy, no offense but you are truly naive if you think people don't make mistakes. If you have never made a mistake in your life, you obviously have a skewed definition that doesn't apply to the rest of society. But it's good that you're optimistic about life and everything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 06:38 PM

This seems like a semantics debate...what I termed "mistakes" Peachy is calling "bad choices"...the point of the post was to impart the wisdom you received from your bad choices in life to others.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

peachy, no offense but you are truly naive if you think people don't make mistakes. If you have never made a mistake in your life, you obviously have a skewed definition that doesn't apply to the rest of society. But it's good that you're optimistic about life and everything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh some would call it naive...but its how i go through life...i see everything around me...its just how i choose to deal with it thats different...some people have a hard time understanding how i think...but i assure u im far from naive and dumb in most aspects [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 07:09 PM

I dont understand. If you make a wrong choice then it was a mistake. Is this some way of not facing the truth but instead shrugging it off so it doesnt affect you?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:15 PM

So Peachy,

You aced every test you have taken in your life, never made a wrong turn, never had a speeding ticket, never mis-balanced your checkbook, never overpaid for anything, never woke up late, never had a job where you were corrected. Need I go on?

In fact every time you state in this thread that you have never made a mistake you are making another one.

Personally I retired from playing pool too soon. I quit at 39 and went back to work at a regular job. It hasn't been bad really but I had another ten good years in me on the road if I had not made the mistake in believing that I wanted to "settle down". Now my time is past, the young kids shoot too straight and have no fear and no honor so perhaps it wasn't all that big of a mistake after all.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:17 PM

But it wasn't a mistake, it was a choice. It's like the crack addict saying he didnt make a mistake by sucking cock to get his next hit, he just didn't make the right choices.

Point is not realizing your mistakes means you will continually make more of them in the future.