Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM

Default OT: My laptop crapped the bed. What\'s a good laptop to buy?

Hello-
Last night I'm playing the $10+R at pokerstars and I get the blue screen of death. I hadn't seen it before on my Winbook J4 laptop- It's 3 yrs old, it's heavy, and the fan on it sounds like a vaccuum cleaner due to the Pentium 4 it runs. (I think)

So I am looking for a quieter, cooler, kickass laptop that isn't more than say, $1500.

Suggestions? What laptop are you using?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: OT: My laptop crapped the bed. What\'s a good laptop to buy?

I'm using a Dell Inspiron. I think it's the 5100 (or something like that). I love it.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:17 PM

I have the Dell Inspiron 9300. It has a huge 17" screen and with the upgrade to the display I can easily play 4 tables with no overlap. Its quick, quiet, and I absolutely love it.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM

Look for one with a Pentium-M and at least 512MB RAM. If you want to play multiple tables at the same time, go with something which has a higher resolution and larger screen.

There are 15" screens which can only do 1024X768, and there are some that can do 1400xsomething or higher. If you want 1600x1200, then you need at least a 17".

If you want to be able to access it remotely, then you will want Windows XP Pro, otherwise XP Home should be fine.

After that, it is up to what sort of keyboard and pointing device that you like. Everyone has different opinions of they all, so your best bet is to go somewhere you can try typing on all of them (and moving the mouse around).

Personally I prefer Apple Powerbooks, but they aren't very good for online poker since all real clients are built for Windows.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Is it similar to this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...29814&rd=1

I too am looking for a laptop for poker primarily.

Thanks

ps. What else would need to be added? I am a Mac person so please be specific.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 PM

im glad to hear you guys speaking highly of Dell... I've heard some bad stories about their computers.

Are your inspirons light and relatively cool (dont easily get piping hot) are they not obnoxiously loud?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look for one with a Pentium-M and at least 512MB RAM. If you want to play multiple tables at the same time, go with something which has a higher resolution and larger screen.

There are 15" screens which can only do 1024X768, and there are some that can do 1400xsomething or higher. If you want 1600x1200, then you need at least a 17".

If you want to be able to access it remotely, then you will want Windows XP Pro, otherwise XP Home should be fine.

After that, it is up to what sort of keyboard and pointing device that you like. Everyone has different opinions of they all, so your best bet is to go somewhere you can try typing on all of them (and moving the mouse around).

Personally I prefer Apple Powerbooks, but they aren't very good for online poker since all real clients are built for Windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. Dell Inspiron 6300 with WUXGA. 15" monitor that has a default setting of 1920x1200. I'm on mine now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. Dell Inspiron 6300 with WUXGA. 15" monitor that has a default setting of 1920x1200. I'm on mine now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can get 4 tables open w/o overlap on your machine?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can get 4 tables open w/o overlap on your machine?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and this is at the default setting of 1920x1200. You need to make sure the DPI setting is at 96 as well. Do a search of the Zoo (internet forum). There's a whole boat of info. on this stuff, which essentially sealed the deal for me getting this machine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]