Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Help me get a car

I don't mean manufactured in a foreign country, simply the country must have a non US base. Honda's, Toyota's ok. Ford's, etc. not.

SGS
Old 05-24-2005, 03:39 AM

I don't really know what the whole deal with the "new" car was, but these were just the conditions I was given and I really don't want to argue too much as they are buying me a new car for nothing.

SGS
Old 05-24-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know what the whole deal with the "new" car was, but these were just the conditions I was given and I really don't want to argue too much as they are buying me a new car for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to argue. Make a new thread with a poll for either new or used, and show it to them.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean manufactured in a foreign country, simply the country must have a non US base. Honda's, Toyota's ok. Ford's, etc. not.

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pretty meaningless distinguishion these days. Is mazda based in the US or Japan? Is Chrysler in the US or Germany? Your parents probably had a bad experience with an american car in the 80s and that is tainting thier view. If you are looking at a truck, there are some american brands to consider.

First off you need to decide what you want out of the car/truck. If you are into sporty driving, the M3 is a poor choice. If you want to drive aggressively, a pick up is a lousey choice. If you are driving 40K miles a year a m3 lousey gas mileage is really going to hurt you at the pump

If you buy the same priced care (25K new versus 25K used) there are big advantages to buying new. Yes the car isn't as nice but for 3-4 years you don't have to worry about repair costs. Given those first couple years are financally tight getting whacked with a 3K repair bill and really screw up the budget. Go to edmunds and look at the total cost of ownership to see how much buying a used car will save you. There is more to this than just looking at depreciation.

And finally, you might want to ask if you can get a cheaper car and the cash to help you get started. Downpayments, furniture, insurance, work clothes, and so on can be a decent chunk of change.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just being dumb... there is not much of a difference between "american" and "foreign" cars anymore. I have had a GM car (bought it new) 5 years ago and it still runs great. I have not had to do any work on it, except for having to replace the brakes once, which any car would have needed with the miles i put on. (and regular oil changes).

I also took it in for the 60k "tuneup", even though the car was running great. I don't know how necessary that is, or if it is just a mechanic's way of making some extra money.

Congrats on contributing to our trade deficit for a stupid reason. If a foreign car is your first choice, fine that is one thing, I am all for a free market. However, don't be so stupid to just assume the foreign cars are better without alteast stopping by some american dealerships for a few test drives. Maybe you will find something you like. I did.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frick new cars. 2001-2004 BMW M3.

SEX MACHINE

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer for oh so many reasons

Gives me a chubby just looking at a picture of it
Old 05-24-2005, 06:05 AM

I don't know what planet you two are on. Find me a 2004 M3 for $25K that doesn't have something wrong with it. A 2001 M3 for 25K is a strech as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:35 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are into sporty driving, the M3 is a poor choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If by poor you mean great, then I agree. If poor != great in this sentence, you don't know what you're talkin' about.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Me too. It means he can't buy most hondas or toyotas since they are made in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

while most Chevys and Fords are made in Canada or Mexico...LOL. I always find this whole debate hilarious.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what planet you two are on. Find me a 2004 M3 for $25K that doesn't have something wrong with it. A 2001 M3 for 25K is a strech as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy could chip in the difference then it could be cool.

But yeah-no dice unless you got in other than your parents money.