Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 02:33 AM

Default What should I do?

I will keep this post brief since it is late and I need to sleep.

I have a much better win rate at the 10/20 and 15/30 tables than I do at the 3/6 level. My problem is that I have a bankroll for 3/6 (350BB) and really shouldn’t even be playing 15/30 but every once in a while I play higher limit tables with great results.

So my question is:

Should I disregard the 300BB rule and play at a higher limit or should I keep playing at 3/6 since I can afford a down swing with my bankroll?

A few numbers from PT:

3/6:
20,612 hands
BB/Hr 1.8
VP$iP 19.5%
W$wSF 46.3%
Aggression 1.62

5/10, 10/20, 15/30:
3138 hands
BB/Hr 3.7
VP$iP 21.1%
W$wSF 48.8%
Aggression 1.83

I know that my sample size is small for the second part since I don’t play all the time, but I guess my question could be. Can a player’s style make him better for higher limits? And if so what style would that be?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: What should I do?

While certain styles will make certain players better in different games, its important that you realize the following things:

1) Acknowledging the small sample size does not get rid of the validity of it.
2) You are likely running hot at that win rate.
3) Even if you are a really good player, the reason for the bankroll is so that variance doesnt bust you.
4) For you to beat 15-30 yet not 3-6, its likely due to running hot. To be consistantly good at 15-30 takes A LOT of skill. Those with that amount of skill destroy 3-6.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:11 AM

You're likely a winning player (or likely have the potential to be a winning player) above 3/6 given your winrate (is that actually per hour or per 100?).

None of the working pros at this site can testify to sustaining 3.7 BB/100, and probably not even 2 BB/100 at 15/30. There's no reasonable way that you're a more winning player at 15/30 than 3/6 in terms of BB/interval.

I've had 4k streaks running at 10 BB/100, there's absolutely no confidence in your sample, but congrats on your take.

Play 3/6 and lower until you have a reasonable roll to move up or add to your bankroll and take the plunge. If you want to increase your winrate/hour, maybe add a table or two (what do you play now? 1, 2? Probably no more if your roll is only 300 BB).

Playing 5 tables of 3/6 is similar to playing 1 table of 15/30 but with lower varience, and varience is your biggest enemy right now.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:56 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I guess you want to learn about bankroll the hard way.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that my sample size is small for the second part since I don’t play all the time,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's small for the 1st part too.

b
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 AM

People play 3K hands in 2 days.

WAY too small sample size. Don't fall into the trap of playing higher when you can't beat smaller limits for the BB/100 you want.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with moving up to a higher game and taking a stab at it every once in awhile, providing that you don't plan on staying there when you are clearly under-funded. The problem with moving up, however, is that when you move back down to lower limits the game can lose some of its lustre and you may not play at your optimum level. You are doing very well at 3/6, and it makes sense to move up occasionally when you're on a winning streak, as opposed to moving up trying to regain losses when things have been running bad.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:11 AM

Even if you are taking the occasional shot, it should be at 5-10, NOT at 15-30, since 5-10 is the next logical limit up. I know the BR size rules have been debated into the ground, but I'm fairly sure that 300BB + 3 months expenses is advocated for strict professionals as well as for BRs that cannot be as easily replaced using other methods.

In terms of my advice, I say stick to 3-6 for a few thousand more hands, then shoot 5-10 a couple times and see how you like the feel.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:17 AM

I've only been reading these forums for a few weeks, but time & time again I see "If you can't beat the low limits, how do you expect to beat the higher limits". If nothing else, you're imprinting it in your brain how 3/6 players play. When you get good enough to move up _1_ level (not to 15/30) there will be an entirely different style of play from the winners. Once you get used to it, maybe you'll start to recognize 3/6'ers taking shots by what you learned from playing AT 3/6. You know the mistakes they will make because you made them all yourself and can exploit that. If you go straight to 15/30 you have no idea of the common mistakes 3/6, 4/8, 5/10, and 10/20 players make.

Think of this game like Karate: You move up gradually to learn new moves. You also practice the old moves until you don't even think about it anymore. If you were to go from white belt straight to black belt it doesn't matter how many years you practice, someone who went through the colors will kick your butt more often than not. now, go out there and paint the fence!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:52 AM

You are running good at the higher levels. You are too loose preflop to win consistently at the higher levels. I know, I have the same problem.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 PM

Yeah, sounds like an easy way to lose all your money. 3000 hands is 2 days of playing and from what I can tell, you're running hot.

Main reason is that if you play the same game on 3/6 as you do on others, you can see your VP$IP and your Aggression are higher, which suggests you're getting better hands.

You don't want to be the guy who's a "consistent winner" for a week, then never posts again.