Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: A 21 year old badass

I spent some time reading at a MOH website where the feats of the awardees are logged. If these events weren't witnessed you'd never believe some of them. Amazing stuff.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 PM

Isn't this is his Medal of Honor citation? He did more than this though. I think he ended up with an estimated total of 240 Nazi soldiers killed.

Unfortunately like some other vets (heroes) who saw a lot of combat his later years ween't so great. A guy who grew up idolizing him did a biography and found out that he likely suffered from PTSD, undiagnosed, and drank heavily; he was pretty unhappy in his later years with trouble forming meaningful relationships. "Pappy" Boyington is a similar character, outstanding war hero, another Medal of Honor recipient and many of the same difficulties in his life after the war.

regards,

raisins
Old 09-30-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...He did more than this though...

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the single most-decorated man in WWII. He's known mostly for the MOH.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:55 PM

what a g.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Have to admit though that it was a bit corny for him to make a movie about it and star in it as himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audie Murphy originally declined the opportunity to portray himself in the movie, not wanting people to think that he was attempting to cash in on his role as a war hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what finally convinced him to do it? the cash?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this is his Medal of Honor citation? He did more than this though. I think he ended up with an estimated total of 240 Nazi soldiers killed.

Unfortunately like some other vets (heroes) who saw a lot of combat his later years ween't so great. A guy who grew up idolizing him did a biography and found out that he likely suffered from PTSD, undiagnosed, and drank heavily; he was pretty unhappy in his later years with trouble forming meaningful relationships. "Pappy" Boyington is a similar character, outstanding war hero, another Medal of Honor recipient and many of the same difficulties in his life after the war.

regards,

raisins

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the Citation for his Congressional Medal of Honor. He was actually recovering from another wound (a bullet in the hip I believe) and was supposed to be convalescing from that but left the medical unit early and returned to his outfit. He was then wounded again during the episode described above for which he was awarded the MoH.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Have to admit though that it was a bit corny for him to make a movie about it and star in it as himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember when this movie came out. Bad acting awards were earned.

I also remember him talking about his Holly-weird career. He let himself get talked into the whole movie scene and he wasn't proud of it. But he did make a few bucks, so WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie, To Hell and Back, set the record as the highest grossing movie for Universal when it came out in 1955 and retained that status until Jaws was released in 1975.

Murphy, like many vets, suffered from PTSD.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I remember when this movie came out. Bad acting awards were earned.

I also remember him talking about his Holly-weird career. He let himself get talked into the whole movie scene and he wasn't proud of it. But he did make a few bucks, so WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie, To Hell and Back, set the record as the highest grossing movie for Universal when it came out in 1955 and retained that status until Jaws was released in 1975.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe box office success is always an indication of the quality of a movie. My comment was strictly my opinion of the movie.

Remember, the folks who went to see this movie, myself included, were in awe of the man. We went for that reason alone. And my opinion of the movie's quality was formed many years later when I watched it again, as an adult.

Have you seen it? I recommend it to anyone interested in the man, if you can find it. It's extremely interesting. It's factual. It's informative. Reading about his actions is one thing, but seeing them re-enacted is awesome.

I also recommend the Gary Cooper movie about Sergeant York. It covers the man's soul-searching before he entered service, as well as his exploits. And it's got a couple of very funny scenes to lighten it a little.

[ QUOTE ]

Murphy, like many vets, suffered from PTSD.

[/ QUOTE ]

We called it "shell-shocked." And it wasn't, sadly, recognized as a genuine, serious condition.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hence the Sergeant Audie Murphy club in the Army.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a "club". It's an award for the NCO of the year, whuch I was a finalst for [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hence the Sergeant Audie Murphy club in the Army.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a "club". It's an award for the NCO of the year, whuch I was a finalst for [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive...even it is the Army. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]