Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 01:26 PM

Default A live hand for once in my life...

So I took a trip to Hayward, CA for the first time in about 15 months and went to the Palace Card Club. Here's my "trip report". I rarely play live anymore so I decided to go this one time.

The game

The game is $1-$2-$2 blind NL with no max buy-in, $5 to bring it in (sum of the blinds). There were stacks from $200-$300 to about $2500. Anyone from any position can "kill" the pot by posting $5 making it $10 to go and killer gets last to act preflop. Anyone else can "double kill" on top of the kill by posting $10 or just one person can just do the "double kill" and just be done with it making it $20 to go. Kills or double kills were occuring about 80% of the time in the first 4 hours I played.

This game was crazy loose, looser than anything I ever saw online or live for that matter. 4-6 limpers just about everytime. Preflop raises just made the pot huge. To give you an idea of how effective preflop raises and reraises were, I only saw one preflop fold in 6 1/2 hours: CO raised a "kill" pot limper to $30, I wake up with QQ in BB and reraise to $100 and take it down. Again, the only preflop raise that took it down (actually reraise). It never got folded around either.

Another example: Some other guy called a raise and reraise to $250 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] leaving himself with only $300 and there was another all-in player there too. 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] won of course. It didn't matter how much I raised or how tight I played. I was like a kid in a candy store; I kept getting premium hands and kept increasing the preflop raise and kept getting called in at least one spot. I raised a kill pot on the button with KK with 3 limpers to $100 and a shortstacked BB $300 called. Crazy action. Crazy suckouts. Crazy place.

The principle players

Crazy Jamaican (CJ ~$800) player who loves to gamble killing most pots and calling all raises when he was last to act stating "pot odds". He likes to bluff and call bets on pure speculation. This is not the type of player to bluff though. He will call. If I had PokerTracker running on him, I'd say he was a 70 VP$IP/8% Preflop raise type aggressive guy.

Old Passive Lady Who Never Raises (OPLWNR $600). She's loose. She's passive (not passive enough not to bet some of her hands though). She loves to gamble. Once she calls a hand, she will call any raise with it before the flop. She likes diamonds in particular. I should know, she bet her K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw into my AA with a 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the flop. I pushed. At least the money went in good [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

The hand

Anyhow on to the action. This hand was not a kill pot. There were 2 limpers, CJ limps, OPLWNR limps, I'm (~$1000) on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raise to $50 (This was before I realized that I could raise to $100 and still get callers. First loose limper folds, other loose limper calls, CJ calls, OPLWNR calls.

Pot = $210.

Flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Loose limper checks. CJ player leads for $35, OPLWNR calls rather quickly. I get some bad vibes, think for about 10 seconds and fold.

Comments?

Garland
Old 10-02-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: A live hand for once in my life...

dont like it, way too passive.
a crazy maniac bets and a calling station called so u folded!?
come on now!
the guy might have juss have a pair of 4s! i would say you are ahead more than you are behind here.

i think calling is better here. because you have a hand, you wanna get to the showdown, and you can catch up for cheap if you really are behind.

if you raise, they might reraise and you wont know what they have.

but ya what do i know, i suck ahahah
Old 10-02-2005, 01:48 PM

easy fold with a bet and a caller.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 PM

That fold for $35 makes me want to puke.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:58 PM

Right, so you should call the whole way for I'm guessing about $200+ with AA even though you're at least 70% beat after with a bet and a call on a board that's dry as a bone.

Or you can raise because a UTG raise of 30 = pocket 4s. Or something. And they'll fold for sure or we get to pot committ ourselves so it's easier to pay off the JJ or 4.

Jesus.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:15 PM

I hope you win the lotto or something someday so I can play you NLHE.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, so you should call the whole way for I'm guessing about $200+ with AA even though you're at least 70% beat after with a bet and a call on a board that's dry as a bone.

Or you can raise because a UTG raise of 30 = pocket 4s. Or something. And they'll fold for sure or we get to pot committ ourselves so it's easier to pay off the JJ or 4.

Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

just for fun, lets assume the numbers you pulled out of your jesus are right. then by calling down we are all putting 200 more into a 210 pot, and we lose 70% of the time?

Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Results and thoughts...

I forgot how much more of a feel I get of players when I'm playing live. Body language, mannerisms, feel, timing have so much more to do with the play than online. I KNEW I was behind, and I'm sure many would say easy call for the pot odds and implied odds even if I knew I was behind to spike an A and stack anyone with a J. To me it was a pure gamble and put my reads and tells to use. I knew I had CJ beat, but OPLWNR scared me to death. She will call all raises preflop, but will release a hand on the flop if it doesn't hit her. So even with $280:$35 pot odds with implied odds to spike an A, I folded.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Results:

Flop: I folded, orignal limper folds.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] | 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

CJ checks, OPLWNR bets $45, CJ quickly mucks saying "I believe you" while claiming he had a 4.

OPLWNR shows J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the flopped quads.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Garland
Old 10-02-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Results and thoughts...

what on earth is the point of posting a hand asking for advice, and then making a post saying:

[ QUOTE ]
"I forgot how much more of a feel I get of players when I'm playing live. Body language, mannerisms, feel, timing have so much more to do with the play than online. I KNEW I was behind, and I'm sure many would say easy call for the pot odds and implied odds even if I knew I was behind to spike an A and stack anyone with a J. To me it was a pure gamble and used my reads and tells to use."

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly are you looking for in the way of responses?

"way to follow through on your read, which you could only have gotten by being there, so nothing we have to say really has any intrinsic value?"
Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Results and thoughts...

[ QUOTE ]
what on earth is the point of posting a hand asking for advice,

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: I never asked for advice. I asked for comments. Online I would always call the flop figuring it was too weak to fold. Was it too weak for live play too? Of course I wouldn't post it if the amount were of bigger value, say $100, but folding for $35 at the time felt weird because I had never done it before in that situation.

[ QUOTE ]

what exactly are you looking for in the way of responses?

[/ QUOTE ]

People to tell me the play was weak or whatever, or if anyone can validate my play.

Garland