Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Offer of help getting into Uni - immoral?

Over the next few months I am going to apply to study a PhD, mainly at U.S schools. Will apply to about 10 unis. I know someone who is a very senior figure in one of the schools. This person said if I apply to his/her school, he/she is happy to put in a word for me.

Well. This puts me at an unfair advantage imo. It opens the possibilty of a superior candidate getting turned down in my favor. I would also like the pride of getting in on merit. However, it is a very competitive world, and some people (notably my parents) think I should take every advantage and each opportunity that presents itself to me.

Confused.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Offer of help getting into Uni - immoral?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. to be honest, I don't think a truly superior candidate would be passed up for you in this case. this situation seems more like if you're on about equal standing with another applicant, your good word from the higher-up that you know will get you the admission.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:05 PM

if youre always going to be this much of a sissy your life wont go well.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:11 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
if youre always going to be this much of a sissy your life wont go well.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. it's not so much what you know but who you know. tomorrow i am meeting with the dean of admissions of a medical school here because my parents know someone who know him. do i feel bad? no.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:14 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

phd programs all have reviews/interviews with multiple sources right? unless they're a highly biased voting member and willing to influence their peers this is just a recommendation, not a free pass.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:21 PM

Getting a PhD is a bit more than grades or your academic record. Getting accepted can have a lot to do with how you get along with the faculty. I know people with atrocious grades (3.0/4.0) who were accepted for PhD work because a certain professor wanted to work with them. This isn't much different, and if you're seriously considering PhD work chances are you are reasonably qualified. Let the person recommend you and thank them for it. It's not immoral at all to accept help from friends. This person would not recommend you if you really weren't qualified, so if you both agree you are a good candidate for doctoral work then it would be bordering on unethical not to accept the assistance.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:23 PM

This friend only know me on a personal level, he/she has no idea how good a PhD student I would be other than having some idea of my level of intelligence based on our conversations.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:30 PM

there are so many facets to the business world that stem from networking and, "who-ya-know". this starts in school, and you need to take advantage of every opprotuntity afforded you.

good luck to you - your ethics seem to be in the right place - but now you need to make sure your motivation is. something like this shouldn't be more than a second thought.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:40 PM

I think it's reasonably safe to say that this kind of thing is not terribly uncommon. I agree with astroglide that this doesn't really amount to much more than a recommendation, and even if this person doesn't interact with you in a primarily academic context, I think it's safe to assume that they have a reasonable impression of your intelligence and character, which is pretty much what it's all about anyway. I don't think you should feel bad about this at all.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Over the next few months I am going to apply to study a PhD, mainly at U.S schools. Will apply to about 10 unis. I know someone who is a very senior figure in one of the schools. This person said if I apply to his/her school, he/she is happy to put in a word for me.

Well. This puts me at an unfair advantage imo. It opens the possibilty of a superior candidate getting turned down in my favor. I would also like the pride of getting in on merit. However, it is a very competitive world, and some people (notably my parents) think I should take every advantage and each opportunity that presents itself to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how most people get jobs? By knowing someone. Today most businesses rely on thier employees to recruit for thier company.

Use everything you can to your advantage. Because everyone else will competing against you

Melch