Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel 103 55.38%
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison 83 44.62%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: PTO autorate poll

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of comments:

I was using the default rules.

1) I went from a Mouse to a "Good Player", so that's good...

2) Where did all the fish go? Many of the "Dice" turned to fish, but many of the actuall fish turned to other things. For example, the biggest loser at my site, the guy I follow around, is now an elephant (Loose/fair). Over a thousand hands he has consistantly lost 10 per 100. He's a fish.

3) Aggression has to be a factor.

I am fairly new to the program, so this is all I have to offer so far. I hope my input is worthwile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using PTO since the very beginning, so I wasn't even aware there was a default set. In looking over said default set, this was clearly developed for Holdem, and not Omaha - in fact, it's the same one as PTH.

As I said in my above post, we really need to abandon the holdem ratings mindset and come up with something fresh. IMO, there really isn't any comparison between the two.

FWIW - the players in my database whom have lost the most rate mostly as fish and elephants...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:18 PM

I have been using a modified version of the autorate rules, but have found i don't use them extensively because there are more winning styles in O8 than Holdem.

Basically, I have 4 categories of VPIP, 2 categories of W$SD, 2 categories of post-flop agression, and 3 judgement-based catchalls (for high preflop aggression with good/bad postflop play, and off the scales fishy)

It's not perfect tho and i still want to make some modifications to it. Reply or PM me if you want to discuss further as i'm interested in tweaking it.

--G
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 PM

I have experimented with two rule sets, which I think are helpful. The first used VPIP WSD and WSF, the other used VPIP, WSD and Total Aggression. I play PL O8.

I found WSF useful for evaluating how successful a post flop player was, but ultimately I think Aggression was a better indicater of style of play.

Some very obvious observations, regardless of looseness or tightness, aggression is an extremely important component of success. Of course, for those unfamiliar with Pokertracker, it should be noted that folding is an important part of aggression.

It is interesting to note that players with high WSD's stats fare well regardless of how many flops they see.

I use <28%, 28-43%, and >43% as my VPIP dividers for PL
60% for WSD (except for tight players it is 62.5%)
and 1.25 for aggression. That makes 12 catagories. I also have a maniac catagory for 3+ aggression, and a throwaway vanilla player catagory which probably serves no purpose.
I think theses catagories give a pretty good idea of what you are up against, and they divide the players fairly evenly by percentages.

That being said, I think you should ALWAYS pay attention to how experienced a player you are up against, and their overall winning. If you analyze the statistics, one of the things that will stick out in PLO8 is that while you can win with many different stles of VPIP (with decent aggression) experienced players do markedly better, to the point that even the players that see 43%+ flops are winners overall if they have over 100 hands of history. What I take from this is that a very healthy percentage of the profit from PLO8 comes from inexperienced players. If you get a table of experienced players regardless of style, you are probably in for a grind.

The one stat which you should NOT overlook
Old 06-04-2005, 09:24 PM

I wanted to let you all know that I liked L0QTiS's ruleset enough that I incorporated them as the new default hi/lo set in the latest PTO patch. You can still use the original Hold'em based rules for High games, but I hope someone can come up with a better Hi set for me sometime. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

http://www.pokertracker.com/patchomaha.html

L0QTiS, thanks again for helping to improve PTO.

Mike