Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Lay down Kings preflop?

What day were you playing there? I was playing the $1/$2 NL game on Saturday afternoon.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:33 PM

"I don't know what type of games you play but in So Cal our live games are extremely aggressive and half of the table is just as likely to have 1010 or AQ than big PP when they move all in preflop. Like ctide I don't necessarily "enjoy" it but they are very profitable. I have to play in games where I have a huge comfort level and then I have to put my money out and gamble, but the level of competion is not what you would call strong. Unless you have a good read on the specific players it would be a bad play to lay them down. Your would @#$% your pants if you saw some of the hands turned over after all in moves in these games. Small suited connectors calling huge all in bets preflop is not THAT uncommon."

i play mostly in a $5-10 plhe game because that's all we've got. the games you describe are hugely lucrative. the last one i played in was $10-25 nlhe at binion's when two guys threw away about $60K in eight hours. i effectively lost $6,000 by breaking even - just went completely card dead for hours.

i'm surprised limon hasn't taken all the money out of that game. one can average many hundreds a night in them when the players are truly loose. all it takes is self-control and bankroll, and of course always looking to make the read that saves your stack.

incidentally, my most recent kk under aa disaster was against none other than the turnipmonster, and i almost laid it down. it was our first (and only) time playing together. perhaps after more play together that money could have been saved. my laydown success, such as it is, comes mainly from never trusting any hand but the nuts.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

incidentally, my most recent kk under aa disaster was against none other than the turnipmonster, and i almost laid it down. it was our first (and only) time playing together. perhaps after more play together that money could have been saved.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have been a more profitable disaster for me if I had been able to lay down my own kings earlier [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. If I remember our hand together right, it went raise, reraise(me), call(you), call and I was completely pot stuck on the flop for my last 250 or so.

if I had a larger stack and a smaller pair I have to be very worried about your cold call, but as it was I just didn't have enough money on the table to do anything but what I did. I sure as hell didn't want to see a Q or J on the flop though.

at the time I remember thinking your call was mostly to get a side pot going against the other guy in the hand, but he folded. after the way the action went preflop (if I'm remembering it right) against most players I would have pushed with any overpair I would reraise preflop with. I have to be more careful against you since I know you can call with KK in that spot, but still most of the time I am pushing as you will have AK sometimes also. if I have more money I have to think more about it.

thoughts?

--turnipmonster
Old 06-08-2004, 06:21 PM

yes you were short-stacked around $400 before the hand began. i called your reraise. no need to lock peanut out of the hand preflop when there was all that side pot money to be had. you went all in on the rag flop, i called, peanut called. turn was another blank. peanut checked. i bet smallish. he folded. bah. matt