Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: a hand I loved then hated then loved

In retrospect, yes, he's 4 betting for a free card. My read on the guy wasn't very informed, but the point is that my hand is way too strong not to bet the turn, or 5 bet the flop. If he's ahead here, I'm going to lose a big pot almost always. But I have to be ahead here most of the time, no?

I'm only behind to AQ, TT and QT. Doubtful he has QT.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, yes, he's 4 betting for a free card. My read on the guy wasn't very informed, but the point is that my hand is way too strong not to bet the turn, or 5 bet the flop. If he's ahead here, I'm going to lose a big pot almost always. But I have to be ahead here most of the time, no?

I'm only behind to AQ, TT and QT. Doubtful he has QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have a read that a guy is pretty tight, and he coldcalls a PFR and 4-bets that flop, I'm thinking AQ like >50% - especially given that draws would normally welcome overcalls from the blinds and also the fact that 4-betting for a free card is arguably retarded with a cap, much less without one.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a read that a guy is pretty tight, and he coldcalls a PFR and 4-bets that flop, I'm thinking AQ like >50% - especially given that draws would normally welcome overcalls from the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. AQ was exactly what I was thinking too and its easily the #1 choice among pre-flop cold-callers everywhere. But a couple of things:

1. Like I did at the time, everyone is placing a bit too much stock in the super-tight read. I mean, its been three orbits. Even with not so stringent standards its not all that rare to not see a hand for three orbits, esp with a few over aggro players at the table.

2. The size of the pot and the stregnth of my hand make giving a free card here horrible.

That is all.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM

Meh, I don't buy it.

Good river check though. Are you calling or raising? Because if he 3-bets, it could've been a hand that you loved then hated then loved then hated.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:12 PM

Given that you didn't bet the turn (what the hell were you thinking? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) I like the logic. No value in a bet, since you checked twice he won't put you on Queen, the only way he can win the hand is to bet, and there is value in a c/r.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I don't buy it.

Good river check though. Are you calling or raising? Because if he 3-bets, it could've been a hand that you loved then hated then loved then hated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a value-less check-raise because I was annoyed at having checked the turn. Yes, if he 3-bets my check-raise I'm fuct, but I'm calling. This will happen like never though.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 PM

Consider JK for one of his hand or two big cards with spades like ATs,AKs,AJs,KJs. All those hands could be jammed on the flop and then check behind on the turn. He would then think he is saving 1 sb since you reraised his initial free card raise. Therefore, I like the check on the river since the only way you can get money from a worse hand is for him to bet.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that you didn't bet the turn (what the hell were you thinking? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) I like the logic. No value in a bet, since you checked twice he won't put you on Queen, the only way he can win the hand is to bet, and there is value in a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me why there is value in a c/r ?

Wouldn't this be a check/call situation? I don't see anything that villain bet / calls, I think his only actions would be bet / fold or bet / raise if he was making an unorthodox play with AQ, QT or TT.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't this be a check/call situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

This IS a check call spot. There is no value in the c/r, to my mind. I raised because I was angry at being outplayed.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't this be a check/call situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

This IS a check call spot. There is no value in the c/r, to my mind. I raised because I was angry at being outplayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you were pwned. He saved himself -1 SB's with that "free card".