Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 03:52 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Religion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that they don't want, so you can spend 6 hours at their house to get a $3 bottle of cocoa mix (yaaaaah!)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's -EV for my time (6 hours) and then the value of the cocoa mix ($3 estimated) That's 50 cents an hour man, 50 CENTS!!!!

WTF is wrong with cocoa mix?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my moms Jewish, my dad's Catholic, and I went the Agnostic route.

[/ QUOTE ]

We might have been seperated at birth... me too! Irish Catholic dad, European / Ethiopian Jewish mom.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2004, 04:41 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, my moms Jewish, my dad's Catholic, and I went the Agnostic route.

[/ QUOTE ]

We might have been seperated at birth... me too! Irish Catholic dad, European / Ethiopian Jewish mom.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Italian Catholic Dad, and my mother is either Latvian or Lithuanian (pretty much Russian) Jewish.

I used to consider myself an Atheist, but I wound up going Agnostic. I don't discount there cannot be a God, I believe anything is possible. But I don't buy into organized religion and its myths, fabrications and exagerrations.

I got into an arguement with a girl about religion one time. She asked me "if you don't believe in God, how do you explain miracles"

My reply was "a few hundred years ago, people thought an eclipse was a miracle, because they didn't understand the science of it. They used to believe the mentally ill were infested with evil demons and spirits, because they didn't have the medical knowledge to explain the things we know now. Religion has consistantly provided incorrect answers throughout history, yet people turn to it when they have no explanation or understanding of a situation."

The way I figure it, religion is a tool to control the masses, to shape society. It provides a groundwork of behavoir and rules, and it was also used to maintain control (obey my word, which is the word of god, and you will be rewarded by going to heaven. But if you don't follow my word, which is the word of god, you'll be punished and go to hell!)

All the ignorant unwashed masses had nothing to look forward to, no chance for real advancement in society. So they'd work hard for the upper echelons benefit, thus providing a productive and relatively stable society, allowing the nobility and religious leaders to have lives of luxury at the expense of others.