Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 05:30 PM

Default How\'d I do?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

MP1 ($5)
MP2 ($9.45)
MP3 ($24.40)
CO ($9.90)
Button ($9.15)
Hero ($23.45)
BB ($5.05)
UTG ($10)
UTG+1 ($5.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $0.5</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.40, BB folds.

Flop: ($3.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($7.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $1</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $5.65 (All-In).

Should I have re-raised pf?

Was I right to put him all in?

I had him on an ace with a lower kicker. Was that what he had?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: How\'d I do?

I've never played at these limits but the call preflop is only decent because there are so many other callers. Normally it's a fold, epecially out of position. Bet the pot on the flop. Why 1/3 of the pot? I fold to a push or a reraise unless the players are awful. By the turn the pot is big enough to justify putting the button all in. He's going to have to show you two pair or better. Ultimately, how you play this hand depends heavily on your read of the initial pf raiser and the button. You don't include either in your analysis.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:21 AM

I would fold preflop.

Playing A/Q out of position to a raise of 5x the BB can only lead to trouble, especially if you're new to NL.

However, as usual, decisions are table and player based, if this table had lots of loose callers, I MIGHT see a flop with A/Q from the SB.

The turn push is a bad play, if you put him on Ace lower kicker, don't you want him calling? You're all in bet would make a sane player fold Ace lower kicker in this situation, and you'll likely only be called by a hand that's beating you.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why 1/3 of the pot? I fold to a push or a reraise unless the players are awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... good question. I think the answer is that 1) that's often a big enough bet to make anyone who didn't flop top pair fold. 2) I think I remember saying to myself "I wonder where I stand..." Though, now it seems like I was in pretty good shape. I guess maybe I wanted to make sure I wasn't up against AK.

Wrong line of thinking?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That struck me as surprising, but two people said it, so I went and looked. In 7500 hands (half of which are limit), I have had AQo 48 times and have never folded them pf. Also, AQo is my 3rd most profitable hand behind AA and KK. Obviously it shouldn't be, but I wonder if at these levels ($.10-$.25 blinds) I'm up against bad enough players that it's actually wrong to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Playing A/Q out of position to a raise of 5x the BB can only lead to trouble, especially if you're new to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused... the pf raise was a $.25 raise to $.50. My bet was then raised $1 to $2. I have 3500 hands at these blinds in NL. I wouldn't say new, but certainly not terribly experienced.

[ QUOTE ]
However, as usual, decisions are table and player based, if this table had lots of loose callers, I MIGHT see a flop with A/Q from the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that pretty well describes every table at $.10-$.25, perhaps that is the reason why I find it so surprising that the fold is what you both suggested pf.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn push is a bad play, if you put him on Ace lower kicker, don't you want him calling? You're all in bet would make a sane player fold Ace lower kicker in this situation, and you'll likely only be called by a hand that's beating you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense, though in this case the player was evidently not sane [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 08-15-2004, 09:16 PM

consider folding preflop. though you can definently call, and its probably the right play at these limits

on the flop, if you call that riase you better be trying to play a small pot the rest of the way through

on the turn, that raise is pointless. if your thinking of of it as a semi bluff, its bad, because 1. you dont fold out AK or any hands that beat you and 2. you fold out hands that you beat. if your thinking of it as a value raise, i think its not great either. you should be playing this as a small pot when you called the flop. you are either very ahead or very behind.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the turn, that raise is pointless. if your thinking of of it as a semi bluff, its bad, because 1. you dont fold out AK or any hands that beat you and 2. you fold out hands that you beat. if your thinking of it as a value raise, i think its not great either. you should be playing this as a small pot when you called the flop. you are either very ahead or very behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the #1 lesson I'm going to take out of this hand, even though it would have cost me money this hand.

Results:

He calls the All-in and shows KK. I guess he figured they don't deal aces to the blinds.

I have caught myself a few times lately making all-in bets that I don't want called when I have what I think is a good hand. So, I guess that's something to work on.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:10 AM

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here . The converter said the blinds were .05/.10, not .10/.25 as you claim. If they really are .10/.25 the call is not nearly as bad as you've been led to believe. Nonetheless, the advice regarding the all in still stands.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:37 AM

aha... now the 5x BB comment makes sense. You are correct, the converter messed up somehow. This was a $.10 - $.25 game at poker stars.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:46 AM

Call a preflop raise with AQo if you are comfortable playing for all your chips post flop should you hit top pair, with a good chance of being doubled through. It is your opponent/s who are more likely to be making the big mistake when all the money goes in post flop, and not you.

Other times you can call raises with AQ. Maybe it's ok against an easy to play opponent that you can outplay postflop, or maybe when money is really deep and your 2 pr will get paid off really big by a bad player/s. Or maybe when there is a good chance you can win it even when you miss.

If you are building a hand in a raised pot with intention of playing a small pot when you hit, then fold it preflop.