Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 10:18 PM

Default wrong!

It's been GWB and Cheney since 9-11. They planned it and executed it just like the Reichstag fire.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: America\'s Biggest Enemy Within............

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why people would mind getting searched if you have nothing to hide.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extremely dangerous way of thinking.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not as far fetched as some might think. There's already been a lot of talk about national ID cards.

Just out of curiosity, are you opposed to being searched before boarding an airplane? I don't know where to draw the line. Perhaps it is best decided in the courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't have many internal flights in the UK as they do in the US, so no I don't really have any problem with being searched when I am leaving the country or entering another one. given that I am only likely to get on a plane twice a year at most, I don't see it as too much of a problem, trains however are a completely different animal.

Mack
Old 08-07-2005, 09:59 AM

Default A Remark About Moderators

[ QUOTE ]
And a Good Day to the Good Doctor. As Moderator, I am responsible for overseeing this forum, and for trying to maintain a certain level of respectable conduct and posting quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a good day back at you.

MMMMMM, as a participant to this forum you have engaged in heated exchanges with numerous ideological opponents. During the course of such exchanges, you have traded slurs, insults and personal attacks (eg calling the other party a "terrorist", akin to a "criminal", etc).

Let me be very clear: Personally, I consider none of those instances as a (bustable) offense for the Politics Forum -- or any other forum, but particularly Politics (and Science/Math/Philosophy). I don't want your posts or posts by Wogga and others to be busted.

But, since the webmasters have decided, for whatever reason, to hire deputies/moderators, I believe that the hiring should be from amongst those who have refrained in the past from extremely antagonistic and/or heated exchanges of opinion!

In world diplomacy, it would be unthinkable to have a Pakistani mediating over the Kashmir dispute, or an Egyptian presiding in Israeli/Palestinian talks, or a Serb regiment monitoring a peace agreement in Kosovo. No, what you see is eager-to-help but otherwise "neutral" parties taking up the job.

If the UN can teach us one thing, that's it.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:51 AM

Our moderator used the word fortnight in his warning post. I'm now more convinced than ever that we're in good hands.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Hark, Cyrus!

[ QUOTE ]
MMMMMM, as a participant to this forum you have engaged in heated exchanges with numerous ideological opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heated exchanges are fine (and actually are somewhat to be expected in Politics); just remember to try to maintain a reasonable amount of civility, please.

[ QUOTE ]
During the course of such exchanges, you have traded slurs, insults and personal attacks (eg calling the other party a "terrorist", akin to a "criminal", etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never called posters "terrorists" or "criminals"; but I do recall having suggested on occasion that certain posters might be rather harebrained, so to speak;-) This is regrettable conduct on my part; but will be forgiven, as shall be made clear further below in this post

[ QUOTE ]
Let me be very clear: Personally, I consider none of those instances as a (bustable) offense for the Politics Forum -- or any other forum, but particularly Politics (and Science/Math/Philosophy). I don't want your posts or posts by Wogga and others to be busted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, good Cyrus, for expressing your opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
But, since the webmasters have decided, for whatever reason, to hire deputies/moderators, I believe that the hiring should be from amongst those who have refrained in the past from extremely antagonistic and/or heated exchanges of opinion!

In world diplomacy, it would be unthinkable to have a Pakistani mediating over the Kashmir dispute, or an Egyptian presiding in Israeli/Palestinian talks, or a Serb regiment monitoring a peace agreement in Kosovo. No, what you see is eager-to-help but otherwise "neutral" parties taking up the job.

If the UN can teach us one thing, that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think very many truly "neutral" posters on the Politics forum can be found--and I think those so-called "neutral" countries in the U.N. are often in practice anything but.

Rather, my view is that a better goal is to have moderators with a sense of fairness and decency towards all posters--and with at least a modicum of critical thinking ability.

My goal will be to treat all fairly. You, dear Cyrus, will find no exception to this principle (no matter how much you might wish otherwise;-)).

Your goal should be to post within the guidelines. I trust you are certainly capable of such conduct.

When the Posting Guidelines are stickied (as they will soon be), it should be a simple matter to follow them. Very, very simple, in fact (and too simple for some, probably).

You may, good Cyrus, if you wish to indulge your highly developed sense of dramatics, consider the prophesied Posting of The Guidelines to herald the arrival of new epoch on the Politics Forum (for convenience sake, the old and new periods may be abbreviated as B.G. and A.G. (Before Guidelines and After Guidelines)).

In the eyes of this Moderator, for all posters who have managed to survive until the Time Of The Stickied Guidelines arrives: all past transgressions shall be wiped clean, and a new slate started (this alone should fill your heart with Joy, dear Cyrus).

A new and more brilliant, shining era shall arrive on the Politics forum: with Goodwill towards Men (and Women), Polite Posters, and Intelligently Conducted Debates.

There will unfortunately be some Posters who shall willfully go against even the Posted Guidelines.

The penalties for violating the Guidelines shall range from mild rebuke, to having one's Name written in Red and being forever Cast Out from the Politics Forum.

Dear Cyrus, may I suggest that these changes will be to your benefit--and that you should consider availing yourself of all the inherent advantages therein which a good gamer should know how to realize.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Hark, Cyrus!

I think Cyrus will be fine. My prediction is that Dr. Wogga and jokerswild will be the first to to go.

At least one can hope . . .
Old 08-07-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Andy, Must You???

...continue to be a whining left-leaning wisher of bad things towards the good, fair, & balanced Dr? Tsk! Tsk! MMMMM is trying to foster a domicile environment for forward thinking and polite exchanges of ideas. Already you are breaking the peace. IMHO, that's because liberal lefty do-gooders don't have any progressive thoughts. Not that you're one, of course!! *

* Note: A Good Dr disclaimer to pacify the pacifists [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 PM

Default NO question.......

....you have your finger o the pulse once again.......groan [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 01:08 PM

Default All Right Now...

...Settle down and keep quiet...both of you! ;-)