Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: SNG\'s vs cash games - advice sought (long)

were you talking about taking this chart (which I assume is for limit) and simply using it as a general guide to nl, figuring it's good enough for the beginner? Or is there a nl table embedded in there somewhere?

I'd love to find pointers to NL cash games. What am I doing here, I should be perusing the small stakes PL NL thread I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 PM

Isn't this post and basically all the advice in that forum for Short handed limit? Isn't there a big difference between limit and no limit as far as what hands you can play?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:54 PM

That's what I was figuring. Where are the definitive posts/guides to NL ring? And why did we post under 1-table in the first place? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this post and basically all the advice in that forum for Short handed limit? Isn't there a big difference between limit and no limit as far as what hands you can play?

[/ QUOTE ]

My OP suggested he switch to limit 6-max and I provided the link. I have no idea how to play NL 6-max and don't know where you can get info on that.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:46 PM

I appreciate the thread and replies. But I'm just wondering if anyone has legitimate reasoning to support SnG grinding to hurt or at least not help your overall poker game. I say this because I enjoy limit cash games a lot, and considered mixing some in after I build a bankroll sizeable enough for me to play limits profitable enough for me. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that if you really want to get better at poker and want to play cash games, you should try 6-max (as long as you stomach the swings). Your pre-flop game from playing SNGs should be very advanced and your post-flop game would probably be weaker than someone who has been playing cash games for a year...so it would be a good place to start and get your ass kicked and learn a few things.

That being said, NL25 is snugglebear soft and is always good for money...but I doubt you will learn much from that.

So it depends...if you want to learn more and improve your cash game and SNG game, play 6-max (reads are vital whereas you can get away with just playing your cards in a 10-max NL25)...I guarantee you this will improve your SNG game. If you juts want the cash, I guess NL25 or 50 would be good...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really good advice, in my opinion. I concur.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been playing a decent amount of NL ring game, 6 max lately. It is great fun, and i belive i learn quite a bit of this postflop thing, that i has been neglecting when playning SNG's. My impression so far is that it should be as beatable as the SNG's. I play very loose, and it is quite refreshing to mix it up from the uberthight style on the early levels in SNG's.

I don't have a clue how loose you can play optimally. But luckily my opponents seems to have even less clue, so it has worked out ok so far. I would say you should give it a try.

A good mix for me is too play one 6max table, and 2-3 SNG's. That way i can focus on the 6 max table in the early levels of the SNG's. The good thing about this it that it helps me from beeing bored at the early levels of the SNG's.
I think playing 6max NL will make you a better pokerplayer.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 AM

so, if you are up 7k in the $11's, why so slow moving up? This is in no way critisism, I'm playing 109's on a vastly inflated bankroll myself. Yes, you will learn alot playing other games, but you will also learn alot moving up in sng's. The 55's will be almost as much an education as 25nl.

Steve
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so, if you are up 7k in the $11's, why so slow moving up? This is in no way critisism, I'm playing 109's on a vastly inflated bankroll myself. Yes, you will learn alot playing other games, but you will also learn alot moving up in sng's. The 55's will be almost as much an education as 25nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've built my roll playing the 11s and some 22s (after starting on the 5s). I've been slow moving up because I just haven't been in a hurry to. I played my first hand of poker a year ago and figured that I'd learn as much as I could (as cheaply as possible at the beginning) and that making money (initially) would be a bonus.

I have no problem gambling during the game, but I'm just more conservative when it comes to my bankroll.

Obviously at this point, I need to move up but it's nice to know that I always have the comfort zone of the 11s and 22s to re-build my b/r if I run into problems.

Also, I think that I'd like to play cash games because it will make me a more well rounded player. Definitely it should help my post flop play, which will come in handy if I decide to ever take MTTs seriously as well.

But I do get that question about why I took so long moving up frequently and I don't take offense to it. I'd rather move up too slowly than too quickly...
Old 07-13-2005, 02:28 AM

well, you will hear around this forum I'm the biggest bankroll wimp around. But, untill you've proven to yourself you can make more at a lower level, you really need to make those jumps if the money means anything to you (it doesn't for some, which is fine) When I move up I basically want enough money to survive the worst possible outcome and still have enough for the lower level I will retreat to AND enough to pay myself (poker is my only income, and I like power and food, etc.)

So, realitically, if you get over 100 buyins for the next higher level, go for it. If you drop 50 buyins (ugh!), you can drop down to the lower level and still have 100 buyins for that level. Same principle applies for limit or nl ring. Even if the money is secondary to learning, you can only learn so much playing in the lowest levels against players that are not thinking. You need to challange yourself in order to grow.

Steve
Old 07-13-2005, 11:55 AM

A complete guide to short-handed play can be found here. That should help.