Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Top Boat reraised on turn

About myself....after 20k hands I am just over 1BB/100 playing 2/4 party. I am tight passive (18%/4%) and am trying to figure out where to add some aggression.

Villain was loose passive 35%/2% but only over 100 hands. It was very weird to get reraised on the turn. I didnt cap the turn and check called the river because I thought maybe we were splitting. Was that correct or do I continue to push?

Was the preflop raise correct when its folded to me in the CO?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 12-09-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Top Boat reraised on turn

is this a jopke post?? ill assume its not so here it goes. BET THE FLOP. CAP THE TURN. if he keeps going then just bet/call the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:07 AM

No, not a joke.
Flop thinking....I didn't put the villian on a flush draw, would they 3 bet K10h? No way. So most of the hands worth 3 betting preflop are ones that beat me: AK, AQ, AA (not knowing the turn at the flop decision) and QQ. I might be ahead of KK or JJ, but thats about it. So I check the flop, terrible?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:13 AM

the flop check isnt horrid but its prob better to bet here. I would be capping the turn and then consider raising the river and calling the 3 bet. One thing youll find once you put in more then 20k hands is alot of things will surprise you. Dont stop raising with the nut or second nut in this case if you really want to make qq a consideration. you will split the pot sometimes but there are the occasions where someone goes crazy with a weaker hand on a board like that.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:28 AM

You almost have to bet the flop, but at least the check threw him off the scent. The 3-bet on turn could be an A or maybe he has a Q, or maybe nothing at all--again because of the flop check, he's going to put pressure on you to fold.
If you're really afraid of QQ don't be. Raise the roof here, to at least give him a CHANCE to fold.
Most of the time you're chopping--assuming he actually has a hand and calls you down. Once in a blue moon you're beat but those are the breaks. If it was me I'd hope he had AQ just to rub it in on his horrible slow play.
Peace.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:30 AM

Bet flop, cap turn, raise river.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 AM

Never assume that you're splitting. This is especially true on donktastic games like Party 2/4--you'll be amazed at what players will do there. It's very possible that your otherwise passive opponent thinks his KK must be good, since there are two aces and two queens on the board and he wouldn't raise with a "drawing" hand like AK or KQ.

Admittedly, most of the time you're going to be splitting here, and a few times you'll lose to quad queens. When you're chopping, capping the turn &amp; at least raising the river might cost you an extra .50 in rake (split two ways). When you lose to QQ it sucks, but trust me--you will make up for the bets you lose on those rare occassions by the extra bets you win when he doesn't have the case ace.

Baby Jesus cries when you limp AJo from the cutoff, btw. So yes, raise.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain was loose passive 35%/2% but only over 100 hands. It was very weird to get reraised on the turn. I didnt cap the turn and check called the river because I thought maybe we were splitting. Was that correct or do I continue to push?

Was the preflop raise correct when its folded to me in the CO?

[/ QUOTE ]

*grunching*

I'd absolutely raise this preflop. I'd raise it with 4 limpers as soon as 4 fold...ers. Edit: And oh yeah, bet the flop!!!

This guy sure doesn't preflop raise very often. What could he be on? AK? I sure hope it's not QQ. KK wouldn't make much sense...why would he wake up on the turn? Kinda looks like he slowplayed AK on the flop. But I think I'd cap the turn. If he still leads the river, I'd just call (expecting to split, but also fearing QQ slightly!).
Old 12-09-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Results

he showed QQ and I felt good for slowing down, but I figured that was results oriented thinking. Thanks for the advice, I shouldnt always fear the worst from a loose opponent, later in the session he raised a double paired board with a flush.
Q.