Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Matusow and 8 or Better

I keep hearing that Mike Matusow is one of the best, if not the best, 8 or better live game player in the world. Is this true? Anyone seen him play? Is he a winning player in this game?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Matusow and 8 or Better

In my area we used to have a Comcast on-demand poker show with a bunch of poker players watching a live game on a telecast, talking about the hands, strategy, etc. with a host asking them questions. This particular show had Sklansky, Matusow, and Todd Brunson discussing O/8. Having never played the game before, I was totally lost, but Matusow discussed the hands very intelligently and seemed to know the game extremely well. In fact, I had never seen Matusow so professional. So I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about the game.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 PM

It is generally considered to be his best game, and he is capable of playing it very well. His A game for Omaha8 is very good, though I don't have that much table time with him to say this from personal experience.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM

I dont think he's played in a while, but he plays the big HU O8 games on UB sometimes and it's pretty interesting to watch if you like the game at all.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 PM

Having played him heads up quite a few times, I will say that he is good, but I have a plus score, so I'm claiming World Championship status. So, he probably isn't the best in the world, although numerous people have suggested he was.

I would consider him an expert player for sure. Rumour has it that he and Ivey played a lot of high limit heads up. I think Phil started off way up but Mike was climbing back - last I heard.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM

About 2 weeks ago, I saw Phil Ivey playing in the $50,000 buy in limit Omaha 8 game on FTP against an anonymous player. According to Phil, they were playing props on the phone and he could not reveal who the other player was. Maybe it was Mike?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM

Was it Profbackwards or something like that? - if so it was Ted Forrest.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 2 weeks ago, I saw Phil Ivey playing in the $50,000 buy in limit Omaha 8 game on FTP against an anonymous player. According to Phil, they were playing props on the phone and he could not reveal who the other player was. Maybe it was Mike?

[/ QUOTE ]I doubt it, considering his screen name is Mike Matusow.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is generally considered to be his best game, and he is capable of playing it very well. His A game for Omaha8 is very good, though I don't have that much table time with him to say this from personal experience.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is a world class Stud8 player why does he even play NL Hold'em for cash? Cause he doesn't have a handle on deeper stack NL imo.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 AM

it was almost certainly david benyamine playing ivey hu and i would guess hes a big favorite in that game. if your looking for a world class o8 player to watch watch benyamine. he regularly crushed the big online games before moving on to the big live mixed live games.
matty