Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Am I playing K\'s like they are A\'s?

yo guys, it's been a while. a little update: i've recently been playing NL100 6 max on empire and pretty much been owning the game (roughly 8 BB/100). so i guess all is well, but i'm always trying to get better. so recently, i went through my PT stats to look for possible leaks in my game. i may have found one: i seem to be playin k's too hard preflop. this happened to me twice the other day. the first hand, i am button and dealt kk. MP (average stack) raises, i reraise, he pushes, i call. he sets his pocket Q's on the river. oh well, i made the right move. a few hands later, i am once again dealt kk in late position. MP raises, i reraise, he pushes, i call, he shows AA and i feel like a donk.

here's my question to all of you guys who are probably better than me. how often do you fold KK preflop to an average stack, heads up? do you ever fold that? i always seem to stay in the hand in this situation, and i thought this was a +EV play in the long run. obviously, there may be exceptions, like if i see a re reraise all in from a huge rock (say 5%/3%). i never really see a huge rock like that at this level though. so do you ever fold KK preflop, and if so, under what circumstance do you fold it? i'm sure i'll get plenty of different answers, so let me know on that. thanks.

--solids
Old 11-16-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Am I playing K\'s like they are A\'s?

Kings are good.
Also, try reading the FAQ as this is answered a lot already
Old 11-16-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so do you ever fold KK preflop.... i'm sure i'll get plenty of different answers.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. I've never folded KK preflop, and I doubt many here have.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 PM

excellent. thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:43 PM

folding KK preflop in fear of AA will lose you money.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:48 PM

Sometimes I get a bad feeling with KK preflop and sometimes my suspicions are correct, other times not. Against a very deep stack rockish type player, I will begin to consider folding, but I very rarely fold KK preflop and I think it's -EV for the most part, especially at 6max.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 PM

The only time I will fold KK is if I am against someone that I have notes on and they are a winning player. If I reraise and he goes all in, I can assume that this player has AA...unless he is the aggressive type.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:57 PM

I can recall folding KK pf exactly once in my life, when I was still playing the 100's against a 7/3/2 set miner that I had thousands of hands against. When he pushed over my re-raise, I was 99.9% sure it was AA and folded, and even then I could hardly make my hand click the fold button. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Only once and even with a pointlessly tight read on my opponent it proved to be a marginal error.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doubtful. I've never folded KK preflop, and I doubt many here have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like this hard-line sentiment about folding (or not folding) one particular hand in one particular spot. The arguement can be made that folding KK pre-flop in SSNL is a major error, but taking everything out of context and saying, "I've never folded KK pre-flop" has to be more of an error. Always wanted to say this......

Do you see why? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]