Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:08 PM

Default So I just lost 30K......

Ok, here is the deal. I have been running like absolute crap lately in 2000NL on party. I won't go into details but lets just say i'm losing sets over sets and being 2 outed constantly after the money goes in. I've been playing shorthanded obviously, not full ring for the most part. This caused me to lose 15 buyins. I tried to move down to 1000NL, but lost some sick flush over flushes there as well, now I have 8K in my roll, down from about 40K a week ago. I built up this roll pretty much in the last 3 months in 2000NL. I had back to back months where I won 30K in about 10,000 hands. Then over the last 10,000 hands(this month) I am getting smoked.

I'm an idiot for not moving down to 1000 when i hit 20K BR, but I felt I was dominating 2K enough to comeback. Well, that burned me.

Now I have to rebuild from probably NL400!!!!

This pretty much just sucks. I mean I have like 10K in the bank and a bunch in the stock market, but I can't really touch those(still have to pay about 15K in taxes this year).

So, is there anyone else who this has happened to, and how long before I'm able to get back into the 10/20 game?

Oh yeah, it seems like the games are worse during the holiday season. Is this just me or what?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

I wouldn't exactly call November 14th "holiday season."
Old 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM

I don't know guys but i think either november is an unlucky month or its party. No im not saying its rigged, maybe they got alot more loose players with their commercials and stuff. Because this month in Party i, too took a beating. I am not playing high stakes like you are, but i went from a $1400 roll playing 3/6 and beating it by 2bb/hr in 10k hands, to a $400 roll. Maybe someone can look at their PT database from last year and see if they experienced something similar.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't exactly call November 14th "holiday season."

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about the end of the year. i.e. people are spending more on xmas and less on poker...
Old 11-14-2005, 02:22 PM

You may have something there. I lost last nov. as well. I have only lost 4 out of 30 months, and 2 have been november.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:08 PM

Take a week off, then start rebuilding from NL 200. You don't want to put yourself into a position where you could tilt the rest off. If the downswing continues, NL 200 should insulate you from getting completely slaughtered long enough to survive it and eventually move back up. It's far better to be safe and have part of your bankroll than to play recklessly and lose the whole thing.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 PM

welcome to variance, population you. move down to 200 NL or 400 NL until you build up your roll and so that you can build up confidence to get back into the bigger games otherwise you'll have no roll left to play with. Good Luck getting back to where you were, it will be an uphill climb
Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 PM

the case with the 3/6 is nothing unusal 150 bb swings are very common, not just in november. And losing a grand is only 150 so thats no need to post yet another party is rigged
Old 11-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Play within your bankroll. Be willing to move down.

Just cause you had some temporary success doesn't mean you should be playing that game.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I know I can beat this game. I did it for 3 months prior to this, and I did not feel i was running exceptionally well.