Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Confused!

I play limit full ring.

I started out learning hold'em on a few different prima sites where the play is pretty tight and kind of a text book poker. If someone raises they have a hand, obviously not always KK, AA etc but a decent hand. You don't want to cold call with AJo and so on.

Here's my problem:

The site I play at now, people raise with just about anything. 34o A2o to name a few. And they don't raise to steal blinds or to because they're bluffing in general. They raise because they think they have a great hand.

So my problem is, I need to cold call alot more.
The upside is no one continue bet. 80 % of the time, if they raised pre flop, they check the flop. It's amazing what crap hands they raise with.

Another phenomena is this:

UTG limps, utg+1-mp3 limps, LP1 raises, lp2 sb bb calls.
UTG re-raise, utg+1-mp2 calls, mp3 caps, rest calls.
And these people re-raise and caps with nothing.

The good part is I'm making tons of money [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
The bad parts it swings a lot. I've beaten by so many crappy 2-pairs it's not funny.

I think my original thought and question was, is it ok to cold call more against players like this? Or should I stay as tight as I used to?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Confused!

I need to cold call alot more

No. This a is a fundamental error. If the raiser is very loose, you need to reraise more.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 AM

I wouldn't want to re-raise with a hand I normaly limp in with. Yet I don't want to fold it because some maniac is raising in front of me.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't want to re-raise with a hand I normaly limp in with. Yet I don't want to fold it because some maniac is raising in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you're thinking is flawed. If it's a maniac you definitely want to reraise because you very well still have the best hand. Cold calling more allows more multi-way pots, thus you aren't isolating the maniac and you're allowing other to draw out. Rather than flopping TPTK against a moron who will call you down, or even build a big pot, with no hand whatsoever.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 11-14-2005, 02:56 PM

Cold calling is almost always wrong. SSHE recommends cold calling about once every 550 hands (I doubt I cold call even that much).

Against a maniac, you want to isolate. When you cold call, you invite other callers. Against a normal raiser, you'd fold AJo to a raise. Against a maniac, it's a clear 3-bet.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:14 PM

If you played where i play you'd understand better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
If a maniac raises, and I have JQs I don't want to re-raise with that. Nor do I want to fold.

And even if I re-raise there will still be 5 callers.'

I think one of the problems is there's not 1 maniac, there's 5+ maniacs. It's sure +EV in the long run though.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM

I dont understand why you post asking a question but when given answers to better your play you dismiss them and stick with the way you played to begin with. Why post in the first place then.

It doesnt matter where you play or that we "dont know the players" theoretically speaking you shouldnt be doing much cold calling so increasing that amount is just bad play regardless the people your up against.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:34 PM

You guys tell me to re-raise to isolate, and that don't work since there's 5 callers no matter what and how I raise.

My original question was if it's ok to cold call more when you know someone (half the table) is raising with crap.

I guess the answer is no, fold or raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 PM

http://www.fekali.com:3455/16/23

http://www.fekali.com:3455/16/Home

Some good reads here. If you play good multiway hands you might not mind if it gets capped or not.