Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Eh?

I'm LAG as usual. Haven't seen much of villain, but he's definitely on the more LAG side of things as well, and has seen me splashing around a good deal. Eh? I haven't fired second barrel before that I can recall, thought this was a good board to try it on. I have raised my last 4 buttons though, so maybe not?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

BB ($183)
UTG ($199.83)
Hero ($309.65)
SB ($175.40)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB (poster) calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($16) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, SB calls $15.

Turn: ($46) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, SB calls $40.

River: ($126) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $75</font>, Hero calls $75.

Final Pot: $276
Old 10-21-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Eh?

Check turn. Call any non [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river given how aggressively you've been playing.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check turn. Call any non [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river given how aggressively you've been playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

for another perspective, try overbetting that turn every now and then
Old 10-21-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$40 is a larger than normal for me though. My standard here is $30. Do you think that affects things?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed (but are we calling a PSB on river? probably).

Being SB here I'd certainly call down with any king (and just about any piece of the flop). He did call your 2,5 BB raise preflop and has picked a hand he wants to stand up to you with (and the chance of him holding a king here is high, no?). With little/no respect for your pf raises I see this as a really bad spot to fire a second barrel, especially with your hand having some show-down value. I'd check-call this turn + river (and I'm a LAG).

Second barrel = must have some respect (unless opponent weak-tight as you've already said he's not)
Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 AM

I definitely think there is a case for checking here and calling the river. The thinking I had was this. I haven't fired a second barrel yet in this sort of situation (maybe once before, but it's not a habit in any case), so I think anything short of a K folds, unless he's planning on bluffing the river.

I think his range on the flop is an 8, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw, some big aces, a K and various PP. I think by betting I can definitely get him to fold 99/TT, a lot of 8's, and also some crappy [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw which could easily have two overcards with it.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think his range on the flop is an 8, draw, some big aces, a K and various PP.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he called with no pair on the flop or a medium PP, he presumably isn't planning on check/folding the river if you blink on the turn. If you want to fire a second barrel, I'd rather do it when you have no piece.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think his range on the flop is an 8, draw, some big aces, a K and various PP.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he called with no pair on the flop or a medium PP, he presumably isn't planning on check/folding the river if you blink on the turn. If you want to fire a second barrel, I'd rather do it when you have no piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly when I'd rather not do it. Reason being is that if I bet again and he calls with a draw (which is certainly possible), I'd hate to go check, check and lose here to JT[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 10-21-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$40 is a larger than normal for me though. My standard here is $30. Do you think that affects things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think it would.

FWIW, I think checking &gt; half pot bet, but overbetting is best of all.

Look at your response to what you think he has; (reasonable) and what you think he'll fold.

The overbet does a few more things, but it's time to sleep.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 AM

Like so?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($176.55)
Button ($95)
SB ($123.86)
BB ($31.40)
UTG ($91)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls $4, Hero calls $4, Button calls $3.

Flop: ($20) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $20, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $151.55 (All-In), Button calls $70 (All-In).

River: ($281.55) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $281.55

This is generally not something I do as PF raiser though. Something I ought to add to the arsenal though.