Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 06:02 PM

Default svchost.exe

Does anyone know how to remove any viruses that might be manipulating the svchost program on my computer? There are always multiple instances of this file in my task manager, and one of them was using like 50,000 K the other day. When I closed it my computer got a lot faster.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: svchost.exe

I'd like to get an answer for this too. I just closed one of mine that was using 25k and it sped up quite a bit. I've got symantec corporate and i guess i'm still getting infested.

Actually... I can't put this thing on autoprotect. Everytime I put it on autoprotect it turns itself off in a few seconds.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:11 PM

This appears to be a fix for it, it's not done running on my computer, yet.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
Old 10-17-2005, 08:06 PM

I was curious and found in my task manager as well, 2 instances each of svchost.exe one for NETWORK SERVICE and the other for SYSTEM, for a total of 4 instances. I downloaded and ran the fix but it did not find the worm on my system. I would have been surprised if it had since I run behind both a norton firewall and an isp one, and also have weekly scans by norton. I would assume therefore, that this is a normal situation when running multiple norton products although it might be useful to ask them why it is so.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was curious and found in my task manager as well, 2 instances each of svchost.exe one for NETWORK SERVICE and the other for SYSTEM, for a total of 4 instances. I downloaded and ran the fix but it did not find the worm on my system. I would have been surprised if it had since I run behind both a norton firewall and an isp one, and also have weekly scans by norton. I would assume therefore, that this is a normal situation when running multiple norton products although it might be useful to ask them why it is so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiple svchost entries is definitely not abnormal. If you ran that and it says you are clean you probably are. FWIW here are the current svchost entries on my work computer:

Old 10-18-2005, 12:13 PM

It's normal...svchost.exe does multiple things and get started with different parameters at startup on when required. You can close many of them but most of the time you shouldn't have to.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:18 PM

I did a little research a while back on what all of the services that were running on my computer did. There seemed to be way too many. It seemed that every other service was to do with Norton. I quickly dumped Norton and switched to AVG for my antivirus, and Sygate for my firewall. Both were free with regular updates. My PC is much quicker now!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:57 PM

I'm with Stabn. This is normal. Your computer likely doesn't have enough RAM if antivirus progs are saying your computer isn't infected.