Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Dentist: trip report

Background: I have NEVER had any serious dental problems in my life. No cavities, despite drinking Pepsi like water, and I'm not a big time flosser. However, my teeth arent perfectly straight (I have a small gap between the front 2), and one of wisdowm teeth came in at a ridiculous angle 6 years ago or so, but it has never created any problems.

So, I head out from work early to get to a 4:30 denistal appointment, checkup & cleaning. 20 minute wait, and the dental assistant (or whatever they call them) does the cleaning, then it's time for the big boy dentist to take a look. He has 3 concerns, and seems pretty adamant about getting things done.

1) Wisdom teeth removal.

These came in SIX years ago. Yes, the one is impacted, but it has never created a problem, and every dentists I've sen since then was commented on it, but hasn't seem voerly concerned. Do I HAVE to have this removed? Monetarily, I'm not too concerned, but it seems like it'd hurt like hell.

2) Apparently I grind my teeth, although I've never noticed myself doing it. Possible that I do this at night, but my wife has never noticed either. Dentist suggested that I get a nightguard fitted, which is apparently like a mouthpiece you sleep in. Sounds like suck & costs $350.

3) I have a small flap that connects from my upper lip junst under my nose to my gums. I think he capped it a Pharyngeal Flap, but I could definately be wrong as what I'm finding on google doesn't seem to match what I have. He suggested that I have this removed. Seriously, I thought EVERYONE HAD ONE OF THESE?!?!? I had NO idea that not everyone had one, I have one so I just ASSUMED everyone did. wtf?

4) Braces. My parents didn't love me enough to get these, should I get them now at age 28? I have some dental insurance, but I'm sure this would still cost me some serious $$$. I know this is a useless question without pics, so I'll post one later tonight when I get home from work.

What's my move?

jvs
Old 10-14-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Dentist: trip report

[ QUOTE ]
What's my move?

[/ QUOTE ]

because you say this dentist is recommending a bunch of stuff that other dentists didn't, i'd get a second opinion.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's my move?

[/ QUOTE ]

because you say this dentist is recommending a bunch of stuff that other dentists didn't, i'd get a second opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's doing something better, he is currently getting aproximately 50 opinions!

54 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator: Mat Sklansky, [censored], Commodus, Dynasty

Favorite Forum! (toggle)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some dental insurance, but I'm sure this would still cost me some serious $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most dental insurance doesn't cover orthodonture.

You might luck out, but these days medical insurance is becoming more expensive (and less helpful), not the other way around.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's doing something better, he is currently getting aproximately 50 opinions!

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hi, Dr. Johnson.... yes, one of my medical consults told me to SIIHP... do you offer that procedure here?"
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Just pay what you need to get it done or else you WILL run into problems later. Also if you can be put to sleep while they do any of it, let them put you to sleep.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:07 PM

Sounds like this dentist got his sales training from the guys that fix my gfs car. Maybe he has a wicked coke habit and needs cash. Some Doc in CA was doing open heart surgery on people who didnt need it. Im sure it happens more frequently with dentists.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:14 PM

Sounds like this guy is doing as much dentistry as sales. I'd go get a 2nd opinion on most of those things. I think most dentists will recommend having your wisdom teeth removed though (especially if one is impacted). The reason for this being that they are hard to clean leaving them open to cavities and worse problems that can be easily avoided by having them removed and dealing with a couple days of pain and milkshakes.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) I have a small flap that connects from my upper lip junst under my nose to my gums. I think he capped it a Pharyngeal Flap, but I could definately be wrong as what I'm finding on google doesn't seem to match what I have. He suggested that I have this removed. Seriously, I thought EVERYONE HAD ONE OF THESE?!?!? I had NO idea that not everyone had one, I have one so I just ASSUMED everyone did. wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this. It is small. It causes me no problem whatsoever. My father is a dentist. Never has he mentioned anything about this. Don't get procedures just for the sake of procedures. What is the possible justification to "fixing" this?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:41 PM

After a quick survey of my co-workers, it seems most (everyone?) has one of these, whatever they are called. I'm thinking it's possible that he was referring to something else & I just didn't correctly understand what he meant.