Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Level 2 thinking: watching the affiliates watch you

This is an interesting website, entirely from the POV of the non-rakeback paying affiliate. web page
Old 10-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Level 2 thinking: watching the affiliates watch you

I emailed Jon Kyl and strongly suggested he go after the affiliates in the online gambling industry.

Waiting for reply.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:43 PM

This thread is particularly interesting. Affiliates talking about Party's policy on rakeback
Old 10-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Getting Sen. Kyl to take an axe to affiliate marking is an awful idea. 2p2 thinking players may not like the idea of affiliates free-riding on their rake, but let's face it, these guys do a service to the 2p2 community by bringing dead money to the game. If somehow affiliate marketing by US-based affiliates became a cause celebre for the anti-gambling forces, make no mistake: our games would get worse. Short answer: Don't be an idiot.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:53 PM

You all have no idea what affiliate marketing is.

When an internet company (for example an online poker site) advertises on the internet, it gives everyone a unique code. This way they can track their profit or loss on the campaign.

Most of the time, they give the advertiser a percentage of the purchase (i.e % of the rake) or a payment for a lead.

If the website insists on a flat payment, the internet company still tracks the profit/loss on the campaign to make sure it has a decent roi (i.e. I pay $1000 flat for the campaign each month, but I need to make sure I make at least $4000 a month in sales).

Rakeback affiliates basically use this process to give the rake back. Instead of an advertising payment, they just give the payment to the player. This is because they do not do any actual advertising because the player already knows about the site.

So if you hate on "non-rakeback" affiliates, you are really just hating on anyone that advertises internet gambling, which includes 2+2.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting Sen. Kyl to take an axe to affiliate marking is an awful idea. 2p2 thinking players may not like the idea of affiliates free-riding on their rake, but let's face it, these guys do a service to the 2p2 community by bringing dead money to the game. If somehow affiliate marketing by US-based affiliates became a cause celebre for the anti-gambling forces, make no mistake: our games would get worse. Short answer: Don't be an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but affiliates in the U.S. could easily be crucified by Kyl since he could tie in their income coming from an illegal entity. It would give him something to do at least.

Feel free to email him your views. He's from my district and he has never replied to me about this issue. I told him please don't ban online poker as it's my quadraplegics son only source of income. I asked him if he really wanted to take away the livlihood of disabled people. I told him if he ever got his bill close to passing I would wheel my son to the senate doorstep and have him speak of how wonderful online poker is for quads. Then have him cry and call Jon Kyl the Devil.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Wow, those affiliates really are clueless. They seem to not think rakeback occurs, or at least have no idea its as widespread as it is. Those people who offer nothing back to their players make me sick.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 PM

I work in internet advertising for a living and I also am quite familiar with online poker and affiliates. Your analgoy is horrible.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work in internet advertising for a living and I also am quite familiar with online poker and affiliates. You are a non-rakeback paying affiliate and your bias is very obvious

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Are you saying I am? Because I am not an affiliate, rakeback or otherwise.