Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Thoughts about poker and success (mainly for college students)

Lately I have been thinking alot about my future. One year ago I would have said my plan was to become a proefssional poker player. Six months ago I would have said "I hope to get a normal job, but I doubt I can get anything that will pay me near as well as poker will, so I will most likely end up becoming a pro out of college." Three months ago I would have said "Poker is good for me, I will just try to get a nice job that I like out of college. If its low paying, thats ok becasue I can use poker as a second job to suppliment my income." Today I think somthing along the lines of this... "I really need to focus on school and other activities that will help me get a good job when I graduate college. I dont want to rely on poker at all. I would much rather it be somthing fun that I never am "forced to play". I want to continue to have poker as a hobby, but by no means do I want to rely on it for income."

I am convinced that if most of the college students on this board focused as much on school and life as much as they do poker, they could achieve great success in the business world. Think of it like this. This board has alot of the top 18-22 yr old poker players in the world. These 18-22 yearolds could achieve the same success in other areas if they shifted their focus. I also have no doubt that many of the 20 somthigns with high 5, and 6 figure bankrolls will realize 10 years down the road what kind of opportunities they had when they were younger, that now have passed them by.

This is not a flame towards the very successful young players on this board. It is just somthign to think about.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about poker and success (mainly for college students)

This is very true. I am very confident that if i applied myself to school and studied more, and then continued to do so at my job, it would parlay me into a sucessful career in business. The problem, so much of the schoolwork we do is fluff. It either isn't neccesary, we spend to much time on it, or it's review.

It's difficult for me to muter up the same desire when the results are sooooo long term AND the matieral just doesn't interest me as much. What's more than likely is that i wll try to do what i need to get by and keep my scholarship (3.3 gpa or higher) and take the est as it comes.

Gabe
Old 09-13-2005, 04:03 PM

Most of them are doing something they enjoy. If they were to complete school and explore other career choices, poker would be the opportunity they shouldn't have passed up.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM

I think it would be great if I could get a real job in a field I'm interested in and supplement my income with poker (hopefully it's still around in 10 years).
Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM

i agree with a lot of what you said. playing poker as your primary source of income is so different from playing it for fun. i upped my hours a week for around 6 weeks this summer while i had the time, and it really burned me out. it definitely can never be my job because i would go crazy.

also, college is supposed to be one of the best times of your life, and sitting in front of your computer all day should not be a part of it. so right now i still play, but i make sure it is my lowest priority; school and friends and everything comes first.

however, i do think that playing poker now is still worthwhile. because of the poker boom, there are just so many people basically giving away their money. when else in life can you make a few hundred dollars sitting in your room, whenever you feel like it? also there are so many students working long hours for $10-15 dollars an hour. we should feel lucky we can make what we do with the hassles of a schedule and commute and dealing with customers.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:15 PM

I am a sophmore in college and still trying to figure out how poker might fit in my life once I am on the outside. It seems I can make a decent income, but by no means can I do this for a living. I guess I will figure it out next summer when it becomes my summer job.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM

I was going to post the exact same thing the OP did, now I dont gotta, thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM

I enjoy playing poker, though I've been playing less lately. but, I am so glad I didnt find it until I graduated college.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

however, i do think that playing poker now is still worthwhile. because of the poker boom, there are just so many people basically giving away their money. when else in life can you make a few hundred dollars sitting in your room, whenever you feel like it? also there are so many students working long hours for $10-15 dollars an hour. we should feel lucky we can make what we do with the hassles of a schedule and commute and dealing with customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah-- I wasnt saying poker didnt have its place. I've made more money playing a 'game' as my job while taking classes than I did while having a relitively well-paying internship every other semester while not taking classes. Poker is very very very part time for me, and the internship was 40-50 hrs a week. Poker is a good thing. Poker consuming a college kids life is a very bad thing.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be great if I could get a real job in a field I'm interested in and supplement my income with poker (hopefully it's still around in 10 years).

[/ QUOTE ]

hopefully the job/field is still around, or hopefully poker is?