Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: JJ, opening hand

No, I'm not down with the flop bet either...but at this point my standard play (which I'm open to changing) would be raising to 200-225...and I play primarily at the 22's. Having played the 11's not all that long ago, and having played the 22's for quite a while now (it's really time for me to move up but I'm a wuss), I can say with some confidence that the stupidity at the 22's is not MUCH less than at the 11's. I've heard 33 is where the average player does take a decent step up, so maybe that is the touchstone level at which it becomes prudent to play a bit more cautiously in this spot.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:58 AM

Level 1, after a mini-raise, two callers, and three to act after me, I'm usually just calling with JJ and seeing a flop. This is for two reasons:

1) At a 33 or below, I'm confident that I can outplay these guys, especially at bubble time.

2) Especially on an 11, I don't really feel like popping it, only to have UTG push. I try to avoid tricky decisions for all my chips, especially when I can wait for an easier spot later.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:00 AM

btw I agree that calling might be the right play even in a $11. I dunno, the edge you get on the bubble time is so huge and flat calling PF is still clear +ev but with much less variance involved.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:57 AM

Flop - No problem with the raise; at a $55 and under you're getting tons of value from dominated hands - frankly I don't see how the dynamic is changed all that much if you had QQ or KK here either, in which case you surely can't flat call his stupid minraise. You're in position with a huge pot which dwarfs your stack, and that won't change.

As far as the T150 bet goes, you accomplish nada. Due to the pot size, anything is coming along including Ax, flush draws, mid pair, and KQ for that matter if it's a Party $11. Yes, the flush ace is on the board, but would you protect AK if you had it here with a T150 bet?

Now the turn becomes complicated - he's expecting you to bet so his check carries less meaning than if you checked through the flop. Had you checked the flop and were checked to on the turn, I would have shoved. If he's "slowplaying" Ax through two streets and that draw heavy turn, wish him good luck with the rest of your 600 chips cause he'll need it.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw I agree that calling might be the right play even in a $11. I dunno, the edge you get on the bubble time is so huge and flat calling PF is still clear +ev but with much less variance involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you flat call the flop in this spot, are you simply playing for a flop w/no overcards or a set? Is that where your +EV is? With so many callers, can you put more money into the pot when an overcard hits? Aren't you effectively saying that you'll surrender the hand if an overcard hits when you play JJ against so many people?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:18 PM

I dunno, most of the time yea I guess.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:06 PM

I don't really like the monstrous pfr followed by the weak flop bet. I'd have made it 90 to discourage anyone calling who had position on you, and that leaves you with a pot small enough to have more options to play it, with position. Post flop, I'd probably make it T275 so that his stack is clearly at stake. If I get a call then, I'd say I'm done with the hand unless I spike a miracle J.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:25 PM

Cold calling preflop for 30 or limping JJ is too weak- tight. I like your line. vnh.

-EV