Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Default good LAG play or am i a wreckless donk?

villian is 28/5 over 90 hands (some of which were 3-handed)....He seems pretty tight but he's gotten the best of me so far. He's made me fold several times so far by minraising. My image is definitely LAG and perhaps a bit wreckless.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (5 handed) converter

BB ($453.40)
UTG ($115.75)
MP ($674.85)
Hero ($762.60)
SB ($329.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $36</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $16.

Flop: ($80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $48</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $726.6</font>

Old 12-20-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: good LAG play or am i a wreckless donk?

I think trying to take this pot away from him is not bad, however I think it's bad to try it at the flop. Problem is raising all-in on this flop looks very much like the hand you really have. I think with all your outs and position you should just call his flop bet, reevaluate at the turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM

I think this is a pretty bad play. It is way more believable if you smoothcall then raise on the turn, plus you make more money that way because you get his flop bet and his turn bet, assuming he folds.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think trying to take this pot away from him is not bad, however I think it's bad to try it at the flop. Problem is raising all-in on this flop looks very much like the hand you really have. I think with all your outs and position you should just call his flop bet, reevaluate at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem i see with just calling this flop is it's going to make the turn very sticky. If i miss and he checks to me I HAVE to semibluff with just one card to come (not ideal). If i miss and he bets (enough to commit himself) i'm probably going to have to give up my hand not knowing how many outs i have. If i make my flush it's also gonna be tricky.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Yeah sure it's a difficult line to take. However I find it also difficult to tell what he has at the flop. There are no worse hands that could call your reraise all-in, and there are not many better hands you could fold, if any.

AA, no club: Dont think it folds, however you dont mind a call that mcuh.
AA, club: never folds, has you terribly crusehd
Set: never folds, has a decent edge on you
AK, club ace: does he really fold this?

Sure calling the flop etc... puts you in a very difficult decision to know if your outs are clean etc... However, the situation shouldnt be easy for your opponent either. It's only easy if he has you crushed, and then your flopraise wont scare him either [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Because it's a difficult spot for both players, and you have position, I think you have a big advantage by calling flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is a pretty bad play. It is way more believable if you smoothcall then raise on the turn, plus you make more money that way because you get his flop bet and his turn bet, assuming he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i wait for the turn, he's alread pot-stuck (plus i'm semibluffing with one card to come rather than two). I don't understand why it's not believable to push this flop....I'm doing this with a set in this spot also
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 AM

looks fine
Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and there are not many better hands you could fold, if any.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is where we might disagree. He minreraised preflop and i'm not quite sure what that means (probably a very big hand though)....That said he has to bet the flop. AK no club, JJ, mid pocket pairs all fold. He may even make a big laydown with AQ, KK, or AA (although this is doubtful you've got to consider this because he seems fairly tight). So while my FE is not great, i think it's better than you seem to think. When i get called i'm either crushed or it's pretty close (and i think these are 50-50).

All that said, i believe calling is a valid option also. But i think it's pretty close