Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Hand from Bellagion 5 Diamond

Great post, I love the line and the reasoning. It's hard not to agree with you assessment that she is only calling with those two hands.

If she raises the turn, do you move in over the top? Or is your turn bet designed to get a show of weakness before you push the river (making it more likely you aren't gonna walk into a monster).

I ask because I see this play late in MTT's online by you and a few of your close friends. Turn lead and if not raises, big push knowing that you are not against the nuts.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there was some discussion among players at the table as to who Gaigabet is.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea why you think that this is the case.

there is no reason for him to be either world famous or have any reputation at all. to most of the world he's some dude who plays poker on the internet.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

The Poker world is very small. When you travel from tournament to tournament, you see the same faces over and over. Darrell has recently become one of those faces. JJ is also one of those faces.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Most players at that level in the tourney who have not been there before will fold AA to an all in bet and pat themselves on the back. Especially if they are cautious and have a clue. Remember she is in a position to blow a life changing moment, who wants to call it off w/ one pair?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think her line, especially given the image she had, was really great. Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo, I was thinking about this as well. I think if she checks behind on the flop, it looks like she has a showdown hand that is looking to get to showdown cheap or a monster. Either way, it is difficult for Gig to bluff in that situation. If she bets too big, it may look like she is committed tothe hand and again it would be too expensive for Gig to play back at.

I love her smallish flop size bet. It looks like it could very easily be a tester bet to see if her hand is good and obviously gives Gigabet an opportunity to play back at her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it worked, but I think a 1/3 pot bet after reraising preflop looks strange. I would probably bet 1/2 pot or slightly more to make it look like she was trying to take the pot with a continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

She made what looks like a probe bet, it is difficult to fold to a probe bet, she was certainly expecting a raise. She could have Qs or Js. It is difficult to put her on AK there, the bet is smalish for that. But it is also difficult to draw to conclusions without being at the table and without knowing what Gigabet knew about her.

If he raises on the flop, I can imagine she could shove with AK, fold anything weaker or obviously call the raise with what she has.

But it wasn't the line Gigabet had in mind. Wasn't Gigabet just unlucky that she hold the near nuts? Or was it a really bad spot to try to make that kind of player put money in a pot planning to bluff her out on the river? The deuce was certainly not the card he was expecting for that? Shouldn't he have abort when the turn comes a brick?

I don't think that someone tight can fold AA or AK here or can put more money with QQ's or JJ's? Of course it is very easy to say that know. Gigabet seems to have the read that she can, right?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:34 PM

How deliberate were you in your actions in this hand? Did you act quickly - I'm curious if it matters, the speed to which you act in these spots.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Eh, I really disagree. A flop check might lose her action, and the turn call was good - but both decisions are easy. Other than that, she did nothing special at all. I think it's very random she stacked Gigabet. If she potted the flop, I believe Giga should be MORE likely to run the play.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

She was setting the stage for flopping the nuts in a reraised pot against one of the few players capable of running a 3 street bluff? I try for that every tournament.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM

There is a very fine line between brilliance and stupidity.
I'm certainly not inferring that you're stupid.

But based on your dialogue with JJ during the night
what in the world do you think she called the
turn bet with? Stack preservation was paramount for her.
After calling the turn she was pot committed.

After she calls the turn I would be seeing five eyed monsters. Your betting pattern was masterful and I admire
your courage, but her turn call HAS to mean she has a strong hand.

Bruce
Old 12-15-2005, 06:41 PM

You could also wait for a flop that only you could have the nuts on. Eg. 976. 456 etc. I know you can't wait forever and this is a decent spot, however, it is possible for her to have the nuts here.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I really disagree. A flop check might lose her action, and the turn call was good - but both decisions are easy. Other than that, she did nothing special at all. I think it's very random she stacked Gigabet. If she potted the flop, I believe Giga should be MORE likely to run the play.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

She was setting the stage for flopping the nuts in a reraised pot against one of the few players capable of running a 3 street bluff? I try for that every tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

She wasn't setting the stage for a play, but maybe she was setting Gigabet up to overplay his hand or bluff off a lot of chips.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM

JV,

"She was setting the stage for flopping the nuts in a reraised pot against one of the few players capable of running a 3 street bluff? I try for that every tournament. "

Please.

I don't know who this JJ is, but it is not uncommon in both cash and tourney situations to play in a seemingly weak-tight manner for a while with the goal of getting someone to push you around later.

It would not surprise me if that was what she was doing - and if that were the case, she'd call the river w/ AK, AA, maybe even less.

She did not need to wait for "flopping the nuts in a raised pot" just a hand that she wants to take a stand with against an aggressive player.