Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (55) QQ line

I'd call this the majority of the time unless I had noted the raiser did this with AA/KK a lot in other games I had played with him.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One line of play to consider is to minraise pre flop. The theory is that AA and KK will never fail to re-reraise pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised there has been no comments on this. I really don't like this line. Sure, you can really define your hand the times that someone is holding AA/KK behind you, but does that make up for the much more likely case where you end up playing QQ in a family pot and lose to a very large range of hands?

I personally never use the min-raise unless I'm heads-up (maybe three-handed) and my opponents have shown that they'll fold to it most times. I just don't like giving the BB odds to call with any two, which makes the post-flop play much more difficult.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One line of play to consider is to minraise pre flop. The theory is that AA and KK will never fail to re-reraise pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised there has been no comments on this. I really don't like this line. Sure, you can really define your hand the times that someone is holding AA/KK behind you, but does that make up for the much more likely case where you end up playing QQ in a family pot and lose to a very large range of hands?

I personally never use the min-raise unless I'm heads-up (maybe three-handed) and my opponents have shown that they'll fold to it most times. I just don't like giving the BB odds to call with any two, which makes the post-flop play much more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, the min raise I was talking about was a min RE raise. The betting would go:

Hero raises 90
villain raises 240
Hero min RE raises 390

I mentioned the 390 in the post but didn't spell it out this clearly. Anyway, no way does this sequence end up with a family pot.

You get to have the hand defined and it costs a relatively cheap 150.

I agree btw almost never right with AK to be first in with a min raise with 8 to act.

Pokerscott
Old 11-24-2005, 04:32 AM

Another thing about the min-reraise is many people will push AK or JJ here, putting you on a range that they conveniently beat/flip with. The only way I like this move is if you're trying to instigate a preflop allin, because that's what's going to happen a lot of the time. You also lose out on the chance to flop a set or a straight and stack better hands. So, if you make this raise for information, sometimes you will fold the best hand and sometimes you will give up the chance to stack a better hand. Moreover, if someone does have AA, they might very well call your minreraise and trap you on undercard flops.

I think calling the reraise, or folding with a very specific read, is far better than minreraising unless you are trying to instigate an overaggressive opponent into pushing a worse hand preflop. The minreraise here is FPS in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:45 AM

Yeah , I agree. Miniraise is bad IMO cus AK-AJ TT+ is likley to be pushing, maybe even 99. It does not get u any information most of the time. I dont like pushing cus this looks like AK and I dont want a race yet. I like the call preflop cus im not folding QQ that easily unless i have an incredible read. And if there is no A or K on the flop, im guessing im golden. I am not calling here if i dont intend to commit on a non A or K flop. If i get caught up against AA, KK, im heading straight to the lobby and startin up another one. Hornacek, why are u folding this? I havent played the 55s serously in a month, but last i checked, there were still donks. All in all this looks like a call.

-EV