Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: The time i tried to outplay Huck Seed

Why be mean spirited? I like the story. Once, I played with Arod at Bellagio and I have played with Mason as well. As a sports fan and a poker fan, both were cool experiences and stuff I've told friends. I'll definitely remember them. But...I guess I have "no life."

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 03:27 PM

Nice story. Keep'em coming!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why be mean spirited? I like the story. Once, I played with Arod at Bellagio and I have played with Mason as well. As a sports fan and a poker fan, both were cool experiences and stuff I've told friends. I'll definitely remember them. But...I guess I have "no life."

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the question is, are you telling friends because you think they will think you are cool, or are you telling them, just cuz they might enjoy the story and like to hear about brushes with famous people?

Star f'ers are annoying, but I don't see a problem with telling people that you met someone famous.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:28 PM

Can you tell us about the time you played at the main event final table with Greg Raymer next?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell us about the time you played at the main event final table with Greg Raymer next?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's never played against Greg but I'll bet he's been to dinner with Greg a lot more times than you have. Wanna bet big mouth?

Vince
Old 11-22-2005, 05:09 PM

So if your dad told you he played some kind og game with Joe Dimmagio you would think he was sad? Or would you say wow thats kinda neat?

I am worshiping noone. In fact i think i play better than him. But its kinda cool to meet famous people and see how they act. I more than anybody know there just people. I was exxagerrating a little when i said i was starstruck. I was more Starstruck when i played with Arod and james Woods. But still treated them like everyone else. They are just people. And i never said i would tell my grandchildren. I was more referring to the older guys in the game. But if i chose to tell my grandchildren i wouldnt see it as pathetic. Of course it would only be if he became super famous where the kids would know who he was.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once, I played with Arod at Bellagio

[/ QUOTE ]

I played 15-30 with Arod at Bellagio about 2 years ago. Nice guy from what I can tell. On one hand I flopped quad Aces against him and he folded on the flop without a bet. On another hand I flopped 3 Aces. I bet into him on the turn. He paused for a moment and then said "You got an ace, huh?" I looked at him and asked "Do you ask the pitcher what he's going to throw you?" he smiled and said "Sometimes" and mucked his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I have played with Mason as well

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my first experiences in playing poker in Vegas, oh maybe 7 years ago was at the Mirage. I was visiting and only played stud back then. I had never met Mason or Sklansky but had read 7 stud for Advanced players and these two guys were my heroes. There was a 15 stud game going stud at the Mirage. It was 3 handed. Mason was in the 1 seat. I sat down in the 2 seat. Before the hand was dealt Sklansky sat in the 3 seat and started talking to Mason. I was in awe. Could not believe I was sitting between my two poker idols. Sklansky played a hand or two and got up and went to another table. As soon as he left I played this hand against Mason. Mason had a Q up and raised. Next to act I had rolled up Kings. I just called. We saw 4th street heads-up. Mason aught a blank and I paired my door card giving me quad Kings. Mason mucked his hand before I could do anything. I turned over my cards and said "What a Four-king hand that was". Mason got up and went to another table and the game broke. That I believe is the only time I've ever played cards with him.

This is a news views and gossip Forum. This is the place to tell little poker stories like this. I think Smoothcall did a great job with his stories outlining some of his experiences with familiar names. Detractors be damned.

Vince
Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was unnecessarily harsh. I apologize.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Thanks Jeff. Glad you liked it.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's sad because you feel the need to tell your grandkids about something so asinine...

[/ QUOTE ]
I have 3 grand kids. The one I'm closest to enjoys hearing crap from me. I enjoy telling him. Some folks call it bonding. I do it because I love him. I think he enjoys my wanting to be close to him.

Both my grandfathers were gone before I was old enough to get to know them. I've always regretted that.

So maybe you should just keep your cynicism to yourself. Or maybe you're missing something in your life and striking out. If that's the case, I apologize and sincerely hope you get over it.

To Smoothcall:
<ul type="square"> Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your story.[/list]