Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Flopped da\' nuts - how to get value?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a set to call/fold to non-board pairing turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

For reals? I don't see a set folding the turn

[ QUOTE ]
If we call the flop raise and let the Villian pot the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, maybe he bets the turn, but probably not pot. Good luck trying to win anything more than a turn bet off AJ, if that

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe if the player is a rock like described, a set folds the turn to 2/3s bet.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 AM

Without position I re-raise here. If he's truly a rock then he likely has trips and you'll get it in fairly quick here.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:11 AM

Heh, if you raised p/f this would have been an awesome spot.

A possible hand range for Villian is 77, 88, 78, and KJ.

Cards that will kill your action/you don't want to see on the turn: 9, 7, 8, J, 10. So, that's about 15 cards that would suck.

I'm not sure what range he thinks you limp with, nor your image, but I feel like no matter what line you take he'll suspect a big hand (a set or straight). Perhaps the optimal and most deceiving play is to reraise the flop; maybe he'll convince himself that you wouldn't play a straight that fast. I think a c/r on the turn shows too much strength, and c/c flop, lead turn might slow him down. By reraising the flop you might be able to keep him guessing; if he does have a set I think that this is the best line to get him to call your value bets. Also, this line eliminates some of those scare cards b/c it defines his hand more for you while still keeping him guessing at yours.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:51 AM

Flopped straights are cool, but very vulnerable to being outdrawn. I like to play them extremely fast and would definitely reraise here. I'd also bet 15 on the flop to allow for my 3-bet to be that much larger.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 AM

This talk of villian folding a set on the turn seems insane to me. Does this actually ever happen?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This talk of villian folding a set on the turn seems insane to me. Does this actually ever happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying absolutely never. But others seem to think so
Old 11-02-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a huge rock I wouldn't worry about trying to get value against his one pair, I 3-bet the flop and hope he's got a set/two pair

$8? If that's your standard bet in this situation, then ok. Just keep in consinstent. I prefer minimum 2/3 pot though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt agree more. I think it's a crime not to 3-bet this flop; you do not want to give a free card with all those scare cards out there and you want to build the pot. He likes his hand, and he would likely push (or raise hard) trips and possibly 2 pair (?) if re-raised.

Don't know his hand range, but I'd say JJ, 88, 77 are very likely looking at pf action and your description of him as a rock.
Most rocks would re-raise AA, KK, QQ preflop? And if he holds one of those I assume you're not getting any more money in on the turn anyway unless he improves. Therefore might as well raise flop.

~$80 pot after flop with $400 behind each is not enough for my taste in this situation

And yeah, unless this is your standard flop bet then bet more than $8.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:09 AM

Make a potsized 3 bet. There are a lot of cards that kill your action, and you don't want to play guessing games if the board pairs. Play this fast on the flop.

Edit: And bet more on flop too.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not happening here heads up, unless the turn is a nine or a ten. If he has 77 and hero has been playing tight lately (unlikely), there's a sliiight chance. If he has 88, he's going to the felt, no questions asked.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:21 AM

Push.