Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 10:07 PM

Default unusual hand I\'d like your feedback on

Button was 81/49, and was on serious tilt, especially against me.
BB was 24/18/2.36 over 150 hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

I always raise aces. However, the button was on such serious tilt, I thought I'd get more money in the pot by limp reraising. It didn't work.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Button's cap was his standard tilt play. My read is that he hit a piece of the flop, but I'm probably still ahead.
BB's check-double cold call is disturbing me.

Turn: (8.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Looking at this now, I really can't 3 bet here, I can't be ahead.
Given the cap, I'm either up against a straight, in which case I have no outs, or up against a set, where I have 2 outs. I don't think 2 pair is a likely holding.
I don't have enough odds to call even a 2 outer, so I suppose I should develop the discipline to fold pocket Aces to this cap?

River: (17.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I just called here, since I couldn't convince myself that a set was significantly more likely than a straight.

Final Pot: 19.20 BB
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: unusual hand I\'d like your feedback on

Don't 3-bet the turn. Rest looks fine.

Krishan - 145 (I just checked)
Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 PM

dont try to get tricky with aces preflop just not worth if you cant fold them. Turn 3 bet is spewing and i raise the river and call a 3 bet
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Raise river. BB has decent stats, unlikely he plays JT like this on the flop.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 PM

BB's stats imply he knows what he's doing. If he does know what he's doing (based on your observation of his post-flop play) then he almost certainly has a set on the flop; there's no way he's calling two cold getting 7:2 with a gutshot, and I think it pretty unlikely he'd do it with two pair, knowing that a tilting maniac is sitting on the button (I think he'd lead the flop). For some reason, everyone feels the need to "slowplay" sets on the flop (I think it is often correct, especially in an unraised pot on a baord like this, but it happens too often, IMHO). When he wakes up on the turn, I'd be hard-pressed to fold but I think it the right play if my post-flop read was strong enough -- he could conceivably still have two pair, he could have been goofy on the flop with TP that is now TP + SD etc. - but if I respect his post-flop play, I'd wish I could find a fold on the turn. I wouldn't three-bet, though, even if I didn't have the discpline to fold. When you hit on the river, I'd three-bet and call a cap. I simply do not believe that straights make up 67% of his likely hands, and I do not think he'll give me credit for top set given how I played pre-flop.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 PM

Don't forget the little straight. Anybody with 56 has an OESD and isn't going anywhere on the flop. BB's play is consistent with a hand like that.

Edit: I would raise the river and call a 3bet.

Preflop, I would still just raise. If BTN really is on tilt, he might be more likely to three-bet your raise (and try to isolate) than to raise your limp (and know the blinds are probably coming along)..
Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget the little straight. Anybody with 56 has an OESD and isn't going anywhere on the flop. BB's play is consistent with a hand like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I meant in my comments when I was talking about straight vs. set. 56 for the straight.

It interesting that there have been several comments to raise the river.
I agree that a slowplayed set is a likely holding, but so is 56. Is a set really more likely to enough of an extent to raise?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: I would raise the river and call a 3bet.

Preflop, I would still just raise. If BTN really is on tilt, he might be more likely to three-bet your raise (and try to isolate) than to raise your limp (and know the blinds are probably coming along)..

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a slightly loose flop call with an OESD, especially if BB is aware that Button is tilting and therefore knows that there is a decent chance that it goes more than 2 bets on the flop. Though, you're correct that 56 is possible and does fit the play pretty well -- the tilting Button adds implied odds out the wazoo, especially since the 56 hand would be pretty well concealed. I might call it on the flop if I were BB with 56. As Hero, I'd still raise the river, expecting a set more than the straight, but combinatorially, the straight is probably about as likely as a set (discounting 99 and 88 a bit since they might very well be raised pre-flop).
Old 10-06-2005, 01:18 AM

Raise PF because you are hoping to be able to cap.. a guy on tilt is just as likely to 3-bet(especially against someone who might be running him over) as to raise and let you limp re-raise.

As others said, river raise/call is in order as well.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:31 AM

Raise preflop and let button make a huge mistake. He's not folding on tilt, ever.

Flop is fine.

Turn is a very bad 3-bet once BB calls 2 cold twice on the flop and then proceeds to raise the turn. 3-bet a raise from the button, but not from BB. Folding the turn for 1 more is out of the question considering the times BB has 2 pair (remember, he had a free flop) and you still have redraws. Given his reasonable stats, the only straight he should have is 65.

Raise the river and call a reraise. At this point, you have the 2nd nuts for all intent and purposes. Only 65 beats you.