Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 AM

Default 20% vpip at 50nl 6max

Hi,

Is 20% vpip too tight for 50nl 6 max over 20k hands, 13%pfr? I play pretty much the same as full ring expcet I steal with any Ax, Kx, suited connectors in the CO and button. If I am in early position agianst a relatively harmless flop I will bet out 1/2 to 2/3rds pot. Call descent raises (5-7% of my stack, and check stack sizes for implied odds)with pocket pairs. I play agianst very loose passive opponents so the bluff and semi bluff dont really work that well. Where is it alright to loosen up more? Should I be limping anything other then suited connecters or pocket pairs with 2-3 limpers on the button? I am usuallly in raise or fold mode before flop and bet/fold after. It is really hard to push someone off a hand unless they bet really small and I come over the top with a pot bet.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: 20% vpip at 50nl 6max

my general opinion about ssnl is tighter is better. they arent paying attention and the majority of them are calling machines. play big hands and bet for value.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:19 AM

Sounds profitable I logged 30,000 hands with those type of stats at 600 NL and was impressed at the returns. However if you really want massacre the game start adding hands that can turn into big hands suited one and two gappers kxs and qxs. The trick is to play cards that make big hands not just cards that are big preflop or on the flop.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call descent raises (5-7% of my stack, and check stack sizes for implied odds)with pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, I'm new to NL. Could you explain what you mean by the above or how you calculate it? I'm not really sure what to search for in the forums that relates. Thanks...
Old 08-15-2005, 07:35 AM

Lots of different things work in 6-max. 20% VP$IP is pretty low, but I don't see any reason why you can't be a consistent winner playing this way, especially if people are not paying attention. Besides, your raising with a wide enough range of hands that you don't look like a total rock.

I think as you play more 6-max you will naturally loosen up a bit. Hand values change in 6-max so something like KJ becomes on OK hand in a raised 6-max pot, but its pretty crappy in full ring. The thing you will convince yourself of is that 1 and 2 gappers (not even necessarily suited), Axs, and, suited kings (down to K7) can be playable in raised pots as well, depending on circumstances. If you make a pair on the flop with one of these hands (Aces with Axs excluded) and your heads up in a raised pot, there is a good chance that you are ahead.

My basic strategy in 6-max is to hold my stack steady (picking up pots where I can) and to try to see flops in raised pots. The raised pots are clearly were the money is and you have to be in there to win them.

Passion
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of different things work in 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]
My vp$ip is 35%.
And I'm not very good.
Still I beat the 25nl at a pretty good clip [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 08:55 AM

Riposte, with low pocket pairs, you are playing to hit a set. To make cold calling a raise preflop profitable, both you and the raiser must have somewhere around at least 10x the amount of the raise to give you proper implied odds. So for example, if you are in late position with pocket sixes and UTG raised $5, it is correct to call if both you and the raiser have at least $50 left in your stack. If you hit your six on the flop, theres a pretty good chance you can stack the raiser, if you dont hit your set you are done with the hand. Get it?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:09 AM

Awesome! Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:46 PM

If you combined your VP$IP with the OP PFR% you get pretty close to the stats of a typical 6-max player. Players with these stats can be very good or very bad. It is really hard to pin down one effective 6-max playing style - there seemingly many.

Passion