Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Playing on the Internet..Questions..(LONG)

You sound like you do not want to deceive your parents, which is the right way to go about it; especially since they are still supporting you. I recommend that you wait a few a weeks, get some good grades and talk to your dad face to face about how you are handling all the new responsibilities you have now that you are away from home. Bring up drinking, carousing, poker and other adult topics you are comfortable talking about. It sounds like just asking him about poker in a vacuum guarantees a no.

Only you know the consequences of deceiving your parents on this one. Would it be viewed like a minor college infraction similar to drinking a beer or would it be a major infraction like a DUI.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:26 PM

I'll echo some previously expressed sentiments. Do this the other way around...drop out of poker and do your degree work full-time. You think you can handle both...but once you start playing you'll get lost easily....stick to your classes. The poker world will still be there when you get out and have a degree.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll echo some previously expressed sentiments. Do this the other way around...drop out of poker and do your degree work full-time. You think you can handle both...but once you start playing you'll get lost easily....stick to your classes. The poker world will still be there when you get out and have a degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend at least forgetting poker for a month or so, to get into that college groove. Then when you start getting into that cycle, start bringing poker back in, by allotting it say 2 hours per week. I know it's not as fun that way, but right now IMO your schoolwork should be your main priority.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Heh..so far, I've already started up a game on campus, $.10/.25 NL, by finding players and such...I should probobly stick more to my studies.

Playing till 4 in the morning is pretty devastating too. My floormates like to play micro $10 NL games. I suppose I don't play all day long, but I can see where internet poker could be a problem. I would most likely have to limit myself to maybe 1-2 hours a day.

We'll see by midquarters..
Old 09-16-2005, 04:43 PM

I have a somewhat similar experience to you as far as being a freshman last year and starting online, and having some friction with my parents about it. the main difference is my parents respect my decisions as an adult and I was allowed to deposit my own money despite them being against me gambling. if you want to tell them, lay it out...show that it is an intelligent decision that is well thought out.

Show them the bonus scheme you'll be following- $500, hitting up the party skins on the 25 NL for $100 bonuses that make it virtually impossible to lose your intial investment.

The friend thing is no good, you will need a neteller account to play online, and especially to bonus whore, which is essential for low level players.

As far as balancing poker, school work, and a social life, believe me its not difficult freshman year. Right now I have a heavy course load and can still manage 7hrs (28 table hours) a week without it eating into my work or socially (it takes the place of the 10hrs a week my friends alot to work study [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 09-16-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the distribution of the $500? Should I deposit it over various sites to make the most of bonuses?

And what about these 'crypto' sites I hear about frequently? Do they offer better bonuses?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.bonuswhores.com hit up the party skins first one at a time, crypto bonuses are no good for low NL levels
Old 09-16-2005, 04:46 PM

Just read response.

What about rakeback programs?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh..so far, I've already started up a game on campus, $.10/.25 NL, by finding players and such...I should probobly stick more to my studies.

Playing till 4 in the morning is pretty devastating too. My floormates like to play micro $10 NL games. I suppose I don't play all day long, but I can see where internet poker could be a problem. I would most likely have to limit myself to maybe 1-2 hours a day.

We'll see by midquarters..

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not good and will be destructive sooner than later. if you're playing for fun live, limit it to a night or 2 a week. if you feel you will have problems playing less than 2 hours a night online, don't start this semester. but, you might find as I did, once you start playing alot online you don't get the same enjoyment out of it as you did playing occasionally with friends, you consider it more of a job.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:52 PM

We play .10/.25 once a week on Tuesdays- I don't think it would be that big of a deal. The micro limit games, however, are more frequent..

Also, I played ALOT during the summer with my friends- nearly every day. I enjoyed it immensely, and hopefully playing online wouldn't hamper my enjoyment from the game (burnout).
Old 09-16-2005, 04:57 PM

I have been reading "Killer Poker Online: Crushing the Internet Game" It details a lot of the differences between live and internet games. I highly recommend it.