Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Still wrong-o

Perhaps not inherently but in practice currently yes Islam is much more violent than western religions. I don't really see how this can be disputed. And I don't think we should have to interpret their religion for them, Muslems made their current practice of Islam a violent one and until they change that we should not pretend otherwise.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The ideological basis of the Koran, however, IS based on religious/political/military conquest, and on forcing the entire world to live under Islamic law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, then, that every Islamic scholar in the western world would disagree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Islam as practiced in the western world is not the problem.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Muslems made their current practice of Islam a violent one and until they change that we should not pretend otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few muslims make their current practice of Islam a violent one, just as very few Christians make their current practice of Christianity a violent one.

We should be equally outraged at the actions of both of these small groups of violent people, and we should be equally tolerant (or intolerant) of their somewhat flawed religions.

Otherwise our thinking is ethnocentric and more flawed than either religion.

-ptmusic
Old 07-16-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If Islam is an inherently violent religion then shouldn't we be worried about the other several-hundred-million that practice it who don't live in the Middle East? Why do they get a pass?
Old 07-16-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ew Global Attitude project
Percentages represent:
(1) Confidence in Osamam Bin Laden
(2) Supports suicide bombings and other violent methods to further Islam

Jordan 60% 57% (up 14% from 2002)
Lebanon 2% 39% (down 34%)
Pakistan 51% 25% (down 8%)
Indonesia 37% 15% (down 12%)
Turkety 7% 13% (up 1%)
Morocco 25% 13% (down 27%)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you accept the validity of this poll? If so while very few choose to act violently would you disagree that a significant portion support violence and violence specifically against the western world.

Do you think if you conducted a poll in the western world which asked A)confidence in the KKK or some other hate group and B) support of abortion bombings you would see anywhere near these numbers.

Islam may not be the root cause but currently in the middle east it is being used to justify and prompt such action and this use is not being rejected in the same manner similar actions would be here.

I don't think we should condem the entire religion but I also don't think we should also pretend that it is in no way related.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:29 PM

I wonder if as much violence, bloodshed, and death has occured in islamic nations in the last hundred years as it has in europe. Let's see... fifty million violent deaths in world war two... sixteen million world war one... thirty million murdered in russia after world war two... And let's not forget the deaths we imported to vietnam, korea, afghanistan (the first time), iraq (the first time), afghanistan (the second time), iraq (the second time)...

Maybe christianity is inherently unsafe.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If Islam is an inherently violent religion then shouldn't we be worried about the other several-hundred-million that practice it who don't live in the Middle East? Why do they get a pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already stated somewhere that Islam is not inherently more violent but that currently in practice it is much more so. Lumping the two (western and nonwestern) as one religion would the same as lumping all bible following religions into one. When I post about the problems of Islam I am specifically talking about Islam as practiced and taught in the non western (mostly middle eastern) world.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if as much violence, bloodshed, and death has occured in islamic nations in the last hundred years as it has in europe. Let's see... fifty million violent deaths in world war two... sixteen million world war one... thirty million murdered in russia after world war two... And let's not forget the deaths we imported to vietnam, korea, afghanistan (the first time), iraq (the first time), afghanistan (the second time), iraq (the second time)...

Maybe christianity is inherently unsafe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not living in that time so really I don't give a [censored]. If you want to agrue that western religion has kept pace the advancements of society while Islam has not that is probably valid.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Verses out of context can be taken from anything to prove anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

The verses are hardly taken out of context; it might even be more accurate to say that they ARE the context.

[ QUOTE ]
Until YOU understand that the reason we are under attack is NOT Islam but the use of Islam by extremists you will continue to miss the real reason you are feeling unsafe. You have to understand why the extremists use their extremist interpretation AND why those who practice but dont understand Islam are willing to commit the ultimate sin in Islam (suicide).

[/ QUOTE ]

Islam has a rich and ancient history of attacking non-Muslims, especially neighboring non-Muslims.

[ QUOTE ]
The terrorist trends are NOT about Islam. Extremist interpretations are tool used by the extremists. You can accept that it is possible for some to have this view of Islam AND there be no terrorist attack in London like we had last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that SOME reasons for terrorist attacks are not because of Islam, but you are dogmatically stating that the attacks have NOTHING to do with Islam. Given that the Koran in many places advocates attacking infidels, and many imams second that notion, I don't see how you can claim that Islam has NOTHING to do with the attacks.

I think the attacks are due to a combination of factors, of which Islam itself is a factor. You claim Islam itself is entirely a non-factor. It seems to me that my view is the more balanced than yours, especially as my view that Islam has SOMETHING to do with SOME of the attacks is supported both by scripture and by the pronouncements of many imams (and bin-Laden and Zarqawi themselves have listed the religious component in their demands and rationales, among other factors).

I think you just don't want to admit the possibility that the religion itself is inherently ideologically incompatible with the entire non-Muslim world. But that is the actual ideological basis of it. And that is a CONTRIBUTING factor, though not the sole factor, to jihads and to many terrorist attacks.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:35 PM

60 years ago is not ancient history. And you ARE living in the time of the last three conflicts.

My minutes at the library are up.