Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Catholics less nutty than Protestants: more evidence

[ QUOTE ]
For more shocking antics... walk up to your neighborhood bishop and ask the church's opinion on marijuana legalization [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that it is a pressing matter of spiritual concern to him.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:01 AM

I understand that, hell, it's part of my point!

That last statement goes to the title of the thread.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:32 PM

Update:

Vatican Official Refutes Intelligent Design

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design" isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate in the United States.

The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design theory alongside that of evolution in school programs was "wrong" and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.

"Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be," the ANSA news agency quoted Coyne as saying on the sidelines of a conference in Florence. "If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science."

Full article . . .
Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the bishops meant, and which is clear if you read their document (which does not even teach for the entire church by the way), is that the bible is not primarily a book whose purpose is to teach history or science. Thus God sometimes chose to teach by way of allegory or through a "story" which has a religious point. Great care must be taken to differentiate that which is in fact historically accurate though, and the church is the authentic interpreter of same. Many fundamentalists, while lacking an authentic teaching authority by virtue of the basis of protestantism, i.e. competence of individual interpretation, maintain it to be literally true in all respects despite the contradictions this causes and also despite the fact that they really are in fact selective about their literalness (ask the Baptists where their bishops are).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 PM

This is partly true because the modern hierarchy has been screwing around with doctrinal matters for 40 years to appease Protestants and other religions. All to their own integral demise.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nuclear weapons have probably saved more human lives than any invention in history. J. Robert Oppenheimer should have gotten the Nobel Peace Prize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew we had some common ground Boro.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is partly true because the modern hierarchy has been screwing around with doctrinal matters for 40 years to appease Protestants and other religions. All to their own integral demise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to others: Peter666 belongs to a sect of catholicism not in full communion with Rome. Thus this viewpoint.

pro multis what??
Old 11-18-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The atomic bomb and the possibility of cloning human beings are fruit of a reason that wants to free itself from every ethical or religious link

[/ QUOTE ]The a bomb and human cloning. Ok I get the abomb thing but cloning?? come'on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuclear weapons have probably saved more human lives than any invention in history. J. Robert Oppenheimer should have gotten the Nobel Peace Prize.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd imagine that imuunization has saved at least as many live as nuclear weapons. I could list more, and will do so if you can tackle that one.

Also I'm not sure that the nuclear weapons story has been fully told. Nuclear weapons in selfish and rational hands good, even the thought that nuclear weapons may fall into unrational hands has caused a war and WILL cause more. I'm not of course transfering the blame to nuclear weapons, instead I'm only stating that the great power of these weapons can be used to save lives or destroy them. Any technology is niether evil or good, it's only in how it's used. Some are just more able to destroy lives, than others. Nuclear weapons are like crack, no one needs that much power, or needs to get that high.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 PM

To be in full communion with modern Rome is not to be in full communion with Catholicism. Excuse me while I go to read "Ut Unum Sint" for my daily laugh.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be in full communion with modern Rome is not to be in full communion with Catholicism. Excuse me while I go to read "Ut Unum Sint" for my daily laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter, if you could explain the difference between you, and say, Luther, I'd love to hear it. People have left the Church for the last 1,000 years by insisting that a version of Christianity (or in your case, Catholocism) is spiritually, scripturally or dogmatcially correct. These folks are known as "Schismatics." Regrettably, schismatics no longer belong to the same Church Christ instructed St. Peter to found which is currently sheparded by his 265th successor, Pope Benedict XVI.