Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 PM

Default What do you think of this strategy?

I play a home game with 8-12 friends, $20 NLHE. When we started I was dead money, after months of study and online play I'm in the money consistently. I'm now recognized as probably the most conservative player in the game.

We start with $3750, blinds 25/50, doubling every 20 minutes. The game is pretty loose, lot of limpers into the pot. Raises are always called by 1, 2 or more. People bet medium and low pairs even one ace and sometimes bet and call them to a showdown. Lot of pots are won with these types of hands. It is very difficult to win a hand without betting premium hands and connecting on the flop (when you do it pays off, but sometimes you just don't get the cards) On the other hand nobody likes to go out early. With the randomness of play its hard to build a BIG stack. Like I said I can usually get to the money, but from there it is a crap shoot. Payouts are slanted heavily toward the winner 20/40/120.

I thought I might throw everyone a curveball. Starting in level 2 (50/100), I am looking for this situation: Full table (8 or 9), I am on the button or in the blinds, almost everyone limps, so say there is a pot of $650. If I have a decent OK hand say ATo or medium pairs, I go all in. I figure I increase my stack by about 20% when everyone folds or have at least a 50% chance of doubling up.

I'll do this again a second time. If I'm still alive, I either have healthy stack or a BIG stack. Now that people are catching on, I will only do this with a premium hand AK, QQ through AA, figuring I'll at least one caller out of frustration.

As a side benefit I think the rest of the game tightens up, so I might be able to put people on hands easier and my AK won't get beat by a two pairs K4 in a raised pot. Plus I think its good that people will now find me somewhat unpredictable.

What do you think?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this strategy?

that is a huuge stack to start with..
Old 09-04-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think so, its only 75BB to start. Most tournaments start somewhere between 50BB - 100BB.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:52 PM

This is a great move to use, but I definitley wouldnt do this early. Mid-session though its a very effective play, as long as your doing it with a hand that will atleast give you a chance to win if called.

I prefer this move in the blinds myself, especially Big Blind.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:03 AM

agreed. we have a similar style in our group and in the mid levels I often steal a pot of a bunch of limpers by moving in or big raise. There's a few players who I know are smart enough to possibly limp a big hand in early position that I won't pull this against, but there's only a few.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:32 AM

I think making the move in level 2, works for two reasons:
People don't like going out early
Stacks are still pretty even

Do you think a large raise of $1000 to $1500 would accomplish the same thing with a little less risk. How do you play this post flop if you get a caller?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:19 AM

Postflop, you push unless the board is very threatening and seems to have connected with their hand.

Too many chips to play around. Now, if you flop a monster, whether you push or not depends on whether you HAVE been pushing a lot.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think so, its only 75BB to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if blinds double every time, as the OP implied, that stack is even less huge than he thinks
Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 PM

it just seems like such a strange number.... I guess it works with those starting blinds
Old 09-05-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think making the move in level 2, works for two reasons:
People don't like going out early
Stacks are still pretty even

Do you think a large raise of $1000 to $1500 would accomplish the same thing with a little less risk. How do you play this post flop if you get a caller?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're definitely catching on. I think the large raise performs the same task at less risk... what happens if you go against QQ or better behind you? Be more inclined to do this when you are near the button so you'll have position if you get a caller.

One thing to ask yourself before pulling this is, "Which of these limpers can limp with a hand that I'm behind?" If you find any be VERY careful.